Deaths Reported in Ukraine's Slaviansk Operation
At least two men were reportedly killed after Ukrainian commandos stormed the eastern town of Slaviansk, which has been controlled by pro-Russian rebels for weeks.
The city's website, as quoted by RIA Novosti, also says an "unspecified number" of people have been injured.
Ukrainian Interior Ministry officials have put the death toll at five in clashes with police and army. A statement by the ministry says during that operation special forces removed illegal checkpoints in Slaviansk.
Kiev's leadership began last week what it calls an "anti-terrorist" operation in its eastern and southern regions and continued it after a temporary truce for Easter days.
Interim President Oleksandr Turchynov decided earlier last week to renew the operation after Batkivshchina party Volodymyr Rybak was found dead in a reported attack by pro-Russian separatists.
Information by UNIAN news agency suggests they are also regaining control in Slaviansk.
- » Dozens Dead in Suicide Bombing at Kabul Mosque
- » The Emperor of Japan will Abdicate on 31 March 2019
- » Far from Catalonia, Canvey Island in England also Wants Independence
- » EU will Cut Some Money For Turkey as Ties Sour
- » Drone Video Shows Full Scale of Destruction of the Syrian City of Raqqa (Video)
- » Greek Police Arrest Syrian Suspected of Terrorism Overseas