Deaths Reported in Ukraine's Slaviansk Operation
At least two men were reportedly killed after Ukrainian commandos stormed the eastern town of Slaviansk, which has been controlled by pro-Russian rebels for weeks.
The city's website, as quoted by RIA Novosti, also says an "unspecified number" of people have been injured.
Ukrainian Interior Ministry officials have put the death toll at five in clashes with police and army. A statement by the ministry says during that operation special forces removed illegal checkpoints in Slaviansk.
Kiev's leadership began last week what it calls an "anti-terrorist" operation in its eastern and southern regions and continued it after a temporary truce for Easter days.
Interim President Oleksandr Turchynov decided earlier last week to renew the operation after Batkivshchina party Volodymyr Rybak was found dead in a reported attack by pro-Russian separatists.
Information by UNIAN news agency suggests they are also regaining control in Slaviansk.
- » Russian Opposition Politician Boris Nemtsov Shot Dead in Moscow
- » 8 People, Including Gunman, Reported Dead in Missouri Shootings
- » Georgian FM Fears Russia's “Creeping Annexaion” of Breakaway Regions
- » Germany's Bundestag Approves Greece Bailout Extension
- » UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova Demands Emergency UN Security Council Meeting
- » Greece's First anti-SYRIZA Demo Ends in Violence