Bulgarian Clinic Reportedly Involved in Organ Transplants Ring
A Bulgaria-based clinic was reportedly involved in an illegal organ transplants ring dismantled by Israeli police.
The crime ring was uncovered in an operation conducted with the cooperation of Interpol, according to reports of the Bulgarian National Radio (BNR).
Most of the organ transplants were carried out by Israeli nationals on Israeli nationals, while wealthier foreign clients had their operations in Turkey.
According to reports of Israeli TV, a Bulgarian clinic was one of the sites to which patients and donors were referred.
Bulgaria's prosecuting authority has not yet provided information about the clinic in question.
Organ trade has been banned in Israel since 2008.
The transplant ring was uncovered on a tip-off by the relatives of one of the victims of organ trafficking, an 18-year-old girl.
The suspects include a doctor and a number of medical workers.
The authorities are looking for a 40-year-old Israeli football player believed to be the mastermind behind the crime ring.
- » Daughter of Tsvetan Vassilev Charged with Money Laundering
- » 1658 Liters of Illegal Alcohol was Detained on the Black Sea Coast
- » Macedonian Customs Officers Detained Bulgarian Car with 22kg Marijuana
- » A British Court Sentenced Bulgarian Heroin Trafficker to 14 Years in Prison
- » A US Student will go to Jail Because of Faked Voter Lists
- » Units to Counteract Phone Scams Were Set Up in Several Cities in Bulgaria