Bulgarian Clinic Reportedly Involved in Organ Transplants Ring
A Bulgaria-based clinic was reportedly involved in an illegal organ transplants ring dismantled by Israeli police.
The crime ring was uncovered in an operation conducted with the cooperation of Interpol, according to reports of the Bulgarian National Radio (BNR).
Most of the organ transplants were carried out by Israeli nationals on Israeli nationals, while wealthier foreign clients had their operations in Turkey.
According to reports of Israeli TV, a Bulgarian clinic was one of the sites to which patients and donors were referred.
Bulgaria's prosecuting authority has not yet provided information about the clinic in question.
Organ trade has been banned in Israel since 2008.
The transplant ring was uncovered on a tip-off by the relatives of one of the victims of organ trafficking, an 18-year-old girl.
The suspects include a doctor and a number of medical workers.
The authorities are looking for a 40-year-old Israeli football player believed to be the mastermind behind the crime ring.
- » Deputy Mayor, Municipal Secretary, Banking Official Arrested over Pension Scheme Fraud
- » Regional Environment Inspectorate Head Arrested for Soliciting Bribe
- » Chief of Police in Bulgaria's Smolyan Removed from Office
- » Oscar Pistorius Gets 5 Years In Jail For Killing His Girlfriend
- » Bulgarian Customs Apprehend 5 M Fake Russian Excise Labels
- » Bulgarian Court Rejects Kobliakov Extradition Request from Russia