15 Parties, 6 Coalitions, 6 Independent Candidates Run in EU Elections
15 political parties, 6 coalitions and 6 independent candidates submitted documents for participating in the European Parliament elections in Bulgaria on May 25.
The deadline for the registration of lists of candidates with the Central Electoral Commission (CEC) expired late on Tuesday, according to reports of Sega daily.
The lists of candidates, independent candidates included, contain a total of 318 people who will compete for 17 seats at the European Parliament.
The CEC deleted the registration of one initiative committee and the registrations of three others were found to have not been backed by petitions with signatures.
The list of MEP candidates of center-right party GERB (Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria) is headed by former EU Funds Minister Tomislav Donchev.
The list of candidates of the Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP) is headed by Sergey Stanishev, leader of the Party of European Socialists (PES).
The list of candidates of liberal party Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS) is headed by MEP Filiz Hyusmenova.
Nationalist party Ataka has its leader, Volen Siderov, at the top of the list of MEP candidates.
The list of candidates of the recently founded Bulgaria without Censorship formation is headed by its leader, former TV host, Nikolay Barekov.
The right-wing Reformist Bloc has former EU Commissioner Meglena Kuneva at the top of its EU elections list.
MEP Ivaylo Kalfin tops the list of MEP candidates of the ABV Movement of former President Georgi Parvanov.
On Wednesday, the order of candidates on ballot papers will be determined by lot drawing.
- » President Plevneliev Criticises Guy Verhofstadt's Recommendations
- » ALDE President: Bulgaria Should Form Govt without Nationalist Formations
- » Bulgaria’s President to Take Part in European Council Meeting Oct 23-24
- » Hungary's Navracsics Deprived of Citizenship Portfolio in New EC Panel
- » EU Commission 'Should Adopt New Approach' to Disasters, Emergency - MEP
- » EC Approves Project for Upgrade of Fire Services in Bulgaria