15 Parties, 6 Coalitions, 6 Independent Candidates Run in EU Elections
15 political parties, 6 coalitions and 6 independent candidates submitted documents for participating in the European Parliament elections in Bulgaria on May 25.
The deadline for the registration of lists of candidates with the Central Electoral Commission (CEC) expired late on Tuesday, according to reports of Sega daily.
The lists of candidates, independent candidates included, contain a total of 318 people who will compete for 17 seats at the European Parliament.
The CEC deleted the registration of one initiative committee and the registrations of three others were found to have not been backed by petitions with signatures.
The list of MEP candidates of center-right party GERB (Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria) is headed by former EU Funds Minister Tomislav Donchev.
The list of candidates of the Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP) is headed by Sergey Stanishev, leader of the Party of European Socialists (PES).
The list of candidates of liberal party Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS) is headed by MEP Filiz Hyusmenova.
Nationalist party Ataka has its leader, Volen Siderov, at the top of the list of MEP candidates.
The list of candidates of the recently founded Bulgaria without Censorship formation is headed by its leader, former TV host, Nikolay Barekov.
The right-wing Reformist Bloc has former EU Commissioner Meglena Kuneva at the top of its EU elections list.
MEP Ivaylo Kalfin tops the list of MEP candidates of the ABV Movement of former President Georgi Parvanov.
On Wednesday, the order of candidates on ballot papers will be determined by lot drawing.
- » Bulgaria to Participate in EU Operation on Tackling Human Traffickers in Mediterranean
- » Council of Europe anti-torture Committee Head Condemns Bulgaria’s Failure to Report Police Brutality Cases
- » EU to Allocate EUR 25 M to Bulgaria, Turkey for Cross-Border Cooperation
- » EU Allocates EUR 6.3 M to Bulgaria for Recovery after Severe Winter
- » PM Borisov Highlights Bulgaria’s Contribution to EU Security in Talks with Mogherini
- » EU Foreign Policy Chief Mogherini To Meet with Bulgaria’s PM, President in Sofia