Crimea to Complete Ruble-Switch in Coming Weeks
Ukraine’s breakaway region of Crimea will fully switch to the Russian ruble within the next 2-3 weeks.
“The (Ukrainian) hryvnia circulation deadline should be cut as much as possible. We will try to refuse hryvnia payments in 2-3 weeks”, Crimean Prime Minister Sergey Aksyonov said on Friday, quoted by ITAR-TASS.
Ukrainian banks in Crimea are increasingly closing. Aksyonov noted that today, about 100 bank offices are operating in the region, while earlier there were more than 800.
On Thursday, Russian President Vladimir Putin promised to speed up the procedure of introducing ruble transactions in Crimea.
The autonomous republic voted in a referendum on March 16 to secede from Ukraine and join the Russian Federation.
- » Turkish President Erdogan Calls on all Muslims to 'Protect' Jerusalem
- » IOM: 120 018 Migrants and Refugees Arrived in Europe Since the Beginning of 2017
- » Polish President Signs Bill Giving Justice Minister Power to Hire Court Heads
- » Experimental Vaccine Against HIV has Promising Results
- » French Police Arrested 150 Migrants at Cannes Station
- » The World’s First Crewless Ship will Launch Next Year