MEP Monika Panayotova Will Not Run in EU Elections
Bulgarian center-right GERB's MEP Monika Panayotov announced she will not run in European elections due on May 25.
Panayotova said she had already requested to be removed from opposition party GERB's lists, Dariknews.bg reports.
She was not among the first four in the list of the party, which were former EU Funds Minister Tomislav Donchev and MEPs Andrey Kovachev, Maria Gabriel and Vladimir Uruchev.
"To avoid speculations regarding the upcoming announcement of all GERB's EU list... as I am entering a key stage of my PhD... i asked GERB's leadership" to be allowed not to run for MEP, as Panayotova explained in a letter to the media.
She is also leaving GERB's junior organization, of which she was a chair, as she is coming of age to join the main party structure in 2014.
- » Jean-Claude Juncker Elected President of EU Commission
- » Jean-Claude Juncker To Be Approved As Head of European Commission
- » Bulgaria ex-Environment Mininster 'Might Head EP Committee'
- » Martin Schulz Re-elected as European Parliament President
- » New European Parliament to Hold Opening Session
- » EU Leaders Back Jean-Claude Juncker as EU Commission President