April Snow Surprises Sofia
Citizens of Bulgaria's capital Sofia awoke on Wednesday morning to see snowfall outside their windows.
Unseasonably cold temperatures have gripped much of the country just days before the Easter holidays. In the higher areas, snow cleaning vehicles had to be dispatched overnight.
Around 6 AM, the snow intensified in Sofia, but later turned to rain. Temperatures are expected to remain between 3-8 degrees and most places in central and western Bulgaria will see rainfall. In altitudes above 1,300m snow can be expected.
The colder weather and showers will persist through to Saturday, according to meteorological predictions.
- » Bulgaria’s Smolyan Municipality Declares State of Emergency over Heavy Rain
- » Summer Floods Caused Damages Amounting to EUR 400 M
- » Bulgarian Customs Prevent Smuggling of Two Million European Eels
- » Mountain Rescuers Warn of Avalanches in Ski Resorts, Frostbite
- » Extreme Cold, Strong Winds Grip Bulgaria for New Year
- » Code Yellow Warning in Bulgaria for Snow, Gale-Force Winds