April Snow Surprises Sofia
Citizens of Bulgaria's capital Sofia awoke on Wednesday morning to see snowfall outside their windows.
Unseasonably cold temperatures have gripped much of the country just days before the Easter holidays. In the higher areas, snow cleaning vehicles had to be dispatched overnight.
Around 6 AM, the snow intensified in Sofia, but later turned to rain. Temperatures are expected to remain between 3-8 degrees and most places in central and western Bulgaria will see rainfall. In altitudes above 1,300m snow can be expected.
The colder weather and showers will persist through to Saturday, according to meteorological predictions.
- » EU Greenhouse Gas Emissions Dropped by Almost 2% in 2013
- » Thousands Suffer Power Cuts, Blackouts After Bulgaria's First Snow
- » Bulgaria’s Burgas Calls Off State of Emergency after Weekend of Heavy Rain
- » Heavy Snow, Rain Cause Chaos Throughout Bulgaria
- » Code Orange Issued in 17 Bulgarian Districts Over First Snow
- » Bulgaria's Osam, Vit Rivers Water Levels Increasing Due to Heavy Rains