April Snow Surprises Sofia
Citizens of Bulgaria's capital Sofia awoke on Wednesday morning to see snowfall outside their windows.
Unseasonably cold temperatures have gripped much of the country just days before the Easter holidays. In the higher areas, snow cleaning vehicles had to be dispatched overnight.
Around 6 AM, the snow intensified in Sofia, but later turned to rain. Temperatures are expected to remain between 3-8 degrees and most places in central and western Bulgaria will see rainfall. In altitudes above 1,300m snow can be expected.
The colder weather and showers will persist through to Saturday, according to meteorological predictions.
- » Thunderstorms, Heavy Rains Hit Balkan States in Early September
- » Up to 200 out of 700 Houses in Flood-Hit Mizia Are Still Inhabitable
- » 5.1 Earthquake Hits Greek Chalkidiki Peninsula
- » Minor 2.9-Magnitude Earthquake Registered West of Bulgaria's Smolyan
- » WWF Launches River Conservation Campaign in Bulgaria
- » Minor 2.4-Magnitude Earthquake Reported in Southern Bulgaria