IntMin Secretary Warns of Abuse in Sofia Municipality
Sofia Municipality's funds were "diverted" to Matey Boev, also know as one of the "Cocaine Kings", the Interior Ministry's Chief Secretary said Monday.
In an interview for the Bulgarian channel TV7, Svetlozar Lazarov commented on the police operation conducted in the main offices of Sofia Municipality in end-February and on claims of the Municipal Councilor Orlin Aleksiev's involvement in drug-trafficking operations.
Lazarov argued that his Ministry had received information of new drug-trafficking operations from Latin America to Europe in which 1.4 tons of cocaine were seized in France.
He could however neither confirm nor deny Aleksiev's participation in the affair.
The Chief Secretary was nevertheless firm that data from the investigation showed a connection between drug trafficking through that channel and the notorious "Cocaine Kings" operation carried out a few years before by partner forensic services.
Over 1400 kg of cocaine were intercepted in February through a joint operation of Bulgarian and French authorities.
As part of the investigation, police searched the car dealership of center-right party GERB's councilor Aleksiev.
He complained that the measure had been part of a smear campaign against him.
- » Iraqi Woman Tried to Enter Romania with a Passport Bought in Bulgaria
- » Father Slaughtered his Son in Novi Han
- » Prosecutor Office to Reveal Details of the Case with the Detained Policemen in Rakovski
- » Policemen were Arrested in Rakovski
- » Kidnapped Salvadorian Journalist was Found Dead
- » Two People were Detained in London on Suspicion of Preparing an Attack