Thousands of Anonymous Bulgarians Donated Millions For the Refugees
Thousands of anonymous Bulgarians donated millions for the refugees through the Bulgarian Red Cross (BRC), reports the Sega daily.
From the summer last year till end of this February, private citizens gave more than BGN 2 M for the refugees. Separately, in the BRC bank account were collected BGN 109 099, two thirds of which went for food in the refugee centers.
According to BRC the donations were mostly from young people who gave up to BGN 1200. Some private companies also gave money for the refugees.
According to the website of the State Refugee Agency (SRA), there were also donations from foreign organizations and embassies.
NGOs and volunteers who organized themselves through Facebook also collected money, food, clothes, medicines and other essentials, which they took to the camps themselves.
“I've been working with refugees, but have never seen such solidarity,” said Mariana Stoyanova, head of the refugee department of the BRC, quoted by Sega. “The volunteers helped out in a critical moment.”
- » Bulgarian Govt Halts Restoration of Ancient Serdica Site in Sofia
- » Tickets for 2015 Junior Eurovision Go on Sale in Bulgaria
- » Minor 2.8-Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Southwestern Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Steam Locomotive to Pull Its First Train after Restoration
- » Bulgaria's Oscar Entry 'Unexpectedly Timely'
- » Pretrial Proceedings Launched over Bulgaria Nationalist Party Brawl