Anders Fogh Rasmussen: NATO-Bulgaria Relations Mutually Beneficial
NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has assured that Bulgaria's partnership with the Alliance is mutually beneficial.
Speaking Friday during his visit to Bulgaria, Rasmussen claimed that NATO made Bulgaria stronger, while Bulgaria, in turn, made NATO stronger.
Bulgarian Defense Minister Angel Naydenov awarded Rasmussen the "Sveti Georgi" Medal of Honor 1st degree.
The visit of the NATO Secretary-General is related to the preparations for the NATO summit in autumn and the celebration of the anniversary of the NATO expansion, according to reports of Sega daily.
Naydenov gave Rasmussen an icon of Saint George (Sveti Georgi). May 6th, Saint George's Day, is also celebrated as the Bulgarian Army Day.
The NATO Secretary-General was awarded the highest medal of honor of the Bulgarian Ministry of Defense for his contribution to affirming NATO as the world's strongest alliance for collective defense.
Bulgarian Defense Minister Angel Naydenov greeted Rasmussen in English and assured him that the ceremony was more than mere protocol.
He told Rasmussen that he was always welcome in Bulgaria and that he was sure to find friends in the country.
Rasmussen also met with Bulgarian Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski and Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev.
Meanwhile, Ventsislav Lakov, MP from nationalist party Ataka, told journalists that the party opposed Bulgaria's active NATO membership and that the motive behind Rasmussen's visit was to try to get Bulgaria involved into a conflict it was opposed to.
Lakov informed that the nationalist party would hold a protest against Rasmussen's visit in front of the President's office.
- » Ukrainian Ambassador to Bulgaria Calls for Greater Consolidation, Consistency in Western Sanctions against Russia
- » Bulgaria's President Plevneliev: Turkey Is Very Important To Us
- » Bulgaria's President to Attend Erdogan's Inauguration in Ankara
- » Bulgaria, US Hope for Positive Results from Four-Way Ukraine Talks
- » Russia Sends Protest Note to Bulgaria Over Soviet Monument Desecration
- » Bulgaria Tightens Control over Honorary Consuls