Bulgarian Nationalists to Stage Anti-NATO Protest
Bulgaria's ultra-nationalist Ataka party is organizing an anti-NATO protest in Sofia on Friday, 11 AM.
The demonstration will be held at the square in front of the Presidency building, where President Rosen Plevneliev will be meeting with NATO's Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen.
Plevneliev will award Rasmussen with the Stara Planina Order.
"Our position has always been against Bulgaria's active participation in NATO. We believe this visit's motives are unclear, and seeks to bring us into an unnecessary conflict", Ataka MP Vencislav Lakov commented.
Rasmussen is visiting Bulgaria in connection to the country's 10th anniversary since joining NATO. He is meeting with PM Plamen Oresharski and President Rosen Plevneliev.
Thursday evening, another small anti-NATO protest was held in the center of Sofia, by a group of far-left youths.
- » Bulgaria’s Ex-President Parvanov Hints at Possibility to Run Again
- » New Deputy Agriculture Minister to Oversee EU's Fisheries Policy in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria’s Garmen Braces for New Protest against Illegal Roma Dwellings
- » Bulgarian Socialists to Decide at Referendum on Left-wing Alliance for Presidential Vote
- » UNESCO Head Bokova Denies Speculation She Might Run for Bulgarian President
- » Bulgaria Socialists Name Legendary Film Actor as Deputy Chair