Bulgarian Nationalists to Stage Anti-NATO Protest
Bulgaria's ultra-nationalist Ataka party is organizing an anti-NATO protest in Sofia on Friday, 11 AM.
The demonstration will be held at the square in front of the Presidency building, where President Rosen Plevneliev will be meeting with NATO's Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen.
Plevneliev will award Rasmussen with the Stara Planina Order.
"Our position has always been against Bulgaria's active participation in NATO. We believe this visit's motives are unclear, and seeks to bring us into an unnecessary conflict", Ataka MP Vencislav Lakov commented.
Rasmussen is visiting Bulgaria in connection to the country's 10th anniversary since joining NATO. He is meeting with PM Plamen Oresharski and President Rosen Plevneliev.
Thursday evening, another small anti-NATO protest was held in the center of Sofia, by a group of far-left youths.
- » Bulgaria's Interior Ministry Plagued by BGN 97M Budget Gap
- » Bulgaria’s Struma, Hemus Motorways Listed as Key Priorities in Transport OP 2014-2020
- » Bulgaria’s Govt to Allocate Extra BGN 8M to Sofia Metro Line 2 Extension
- » Threat to DPS Leader's Life 'Received' During Previous Parliament
- » 3 out of 4 Senior Executives of Bulgaria's Agriculture Fund Replaced Overnight
- » Temenuzhka Yankova Appointed Deputy Chief of Bulgaria's Revenue Agency