American University in Bulgaria Preparing for Annual Olympics
For a 9th consecutive year, the American University in Bulgaria will organize the AUBG Olympics in Blagoevgrad.
This year, the event will take place on April 27. As usual, it will be held at the baseball field of Bachinovo Park, on one of the picturesque hills above Blagoevgrad.
A special guest of this year's AUBG Olympics will be Bulgaria's legendary gymnast Yordan Yovchev, who will demonstrate some of his skills, as well as award the winners.
There will be a total of 15 disciplines at this year's Olympics. As usual, the popular ones include football, volleyball, basketball, athletics, and tug-of-war. The newest edition is the marathon, which will be held on Saturday, the 26th.
"Our aim is to promote a healthy lifestyle and sports culture, both for the students and the wider community. We do give out medals, but what is more important is to exercise and feel well", Ivaylo Yanev, President of the AUBG Olympics Club commented.
Last year, the AUBG Olympics attracted over 600 students, professors, and guests, with the number expected to rise even more this year. Although the competitions are open only to students and staff of the university, everyone is welcome to attend and enjoy a sunny (hopefully) day out in nature. A special climbing wall will be set up for anyone who wishes to try out.
Lots of fun, music, and barbecue await all the guests this year.
- » Bulgaria Wins 16 Medals at 2014 Special Olympics European Summer Games
- » Bulgarians Win 12 Medals at World Arm Wrestling Championship in Vilnius
- » Sofia Fails to Become Host City for Euro 2020 Matches
- » Ludogorets Loses 1-2 to Liverpool in Champions League Clash
- » Bulgaria Men's Volleyball Team Loses to Finland
- » Bulgaria Drops Out of Volleyball Men's World Championship after Losing to Germany