EU Election Bid of Media Mogul Peevski Triggers New Protest in Sofia
The EU election bid of controversial media mogul Delyan Peevski, MP from liberal party Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS), has triggered a new protest in Sofia.
The rally is yet again organized via Facebook and has been scheduled to start at 7pm in front of the Council of Ministers building.
The protest is titled "300", as many as the days since the start of the anti-government protests in Bulgaria.
The anti-government rallies in Bulgaria started on June 14 in response to the appointment of Peevski as Chair of the State Agency for National Security (DANS). Although the controversial appointment was cancelled, the protesters went on to demand the resignation of the socialist-led coalition government over ties with business oligarchs.
Peevski has been nominated as a MEP candidate from DPS by the party's units in Kardzhali, Smolyan and Burgas.
According to DPS MPs, Peevski has a good reputation within the ranks of the party and is a successful businessman who could help boost EU funds absorption.
- » ABV’s Kalfin Says GERB-BSP Coalition Could Provide Stability
- » Bulgaria’s GERB Party, ABV Movement Willing to Extend Coalition Talks
- » Bulgaria to Create Search&Rescue System for Aviation Accidents
- » Bulgaria’s GERB Party, ABV Movement Hold Govt Talks
- » GERB, Bulgaria without Censorship, End Unsuccessful Govt Talks
- » Bulgarian Trade Unions Threaten Protests over Planned Merger of Customs, Revenue Agency