EU Election Bid of Media Mogul Peevski Triggers New Protest in Sofia
The EU election bid of controversial media mogul Delyan Peevski, MP from liberal party Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS), has triggered a new protest in Sofia.
The rally is yet again organized via Facebook and has been scheduled to start at 7pm in front of the Council of Ministers building.
The protest is titled "300", as many as the days since the start of the anti-government protests in Bulgaria.
The anti-government rallies in Bulgaria started on June 14 in response to the appointment of Peevski as Chair of the State Agency for National Security (DANS). Although the controversial appointment was cancelled, the protesters went on to demand the resignation of the socialist-led coalition government over ties with business oligarchs.
Peevski has been nominated as a MEP candidate from DPS by the party's units in Kardzhali, Smolyan and Burgas.
According to DPS MPs, Peevski has a good reputation within the ranks of the party and is a successful businessman who could help boost EU funds absorption.
- » Bulgaria's 6th Largest Parliament Group Dissolved
- » Rejection of Referendum Questions 'Blow to Half Million Citizens' - Bulgarian President
- » Bill on Establishing Single Anti-Corruption Unit in Bulgaria Fails to Pass 1st Reading
- » Bulgarian Parliament to Discuss Anticorruption Law at First Reading
- » Maya Manolova Elected Bulgaria's National Ombudsman
- » Anti-Corruption Inspectorate to Be Established at Bulgaria’s Customs Agency