EU Election Bid of Media Mogul Peevski Triggers New Protest in Sofia
The EU election bid of controversial media mogul Delyan Peevski, MP from liberal party Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS), has triggered a new protest in Sofia.
The rally is yet again organized via Facebook and has been scheduled to start at 7pm in front of the Council of Ministers building.
The protest is titled "300", as many as the days since the start of the anti-government protests in Bulgaria.
The anti-government rallies in Bulgaria started on June 14 in response to the appointment of Peevski as Chair of the State Agency for National Security (DANS). Although the controversial appointment was cancelled, the protesters went on to demand the resignation of the socialist-led coalition government over ties with business oligarchs.
Peevski has been nominated as a MEP candidate from DPS by the party's units in Kardzhali, Smolyan and Burgas.
According to DPS MPs, Peevski has a good reputation within the ranks of the party and is a successful businessman who could help boost EU funds absorption.
- » Bulgaria to Give Flight Passengers' Data to US
- » Schengen Accession of Bulgaria, Romania Key to EU Security - IntMin
- » Bulgarian Police Arrests 107 Illegal Immigrants in Sofia
- » Bulgarian MPs Reject Proposal to Revoke Sanctions on Russia
- » Bulgarian Authorities Detain Van Carrying 20 Migrants in Montana
- » Bulgarian President to Veto Amendments to Military Intelligence Act