Bulgaria Scores Highly in Personal Freedom and Choice - SPI
Bulgaria came 44th among 132 countries by Social Progress Index that ranks countries by social and environmental performance.
The Social Progress Index (SPI) measures the extent to which countries provide for the social and environmental needs of their citizens. Fifty-two indicators in the areas of basic human needs, foundations of wellbeing, and opportunity show the relative performance of nations.
Of issues covered by the Basic Human Needs Dimension, Bulgaria does best in areas including Water and Sanitation and has the greatest opportunity to improve human wellbeing by focusing more on Shelter, the report says.
Of issues covered by the Foundations of Wellbeing Dimension, Bulgaria excels at providing building blocks for people's lives such as Access to Basic Knowledge but would benefit from greater investment in Health and Wellness.
Of issues covered by the Opportunity Dimension, Bulgaria outperforms in providing opportunities for people to improve their position in society and scores highly in Personal Freedom and Choice yet falls short in Tolerance and Inclusion.
In terms of outdoor air pollution attributable deaths, Bulgaria is at the bottom of the rating at 128 position. Factors such as non-communicable disease deaths between the ages of 30 and 70, obesity rate, life expectancy rank the country at 84th, 82th, and 56th place, respectively.
When it comes to personal freedom and choice, Bulgaria takes 91th position in terms of modern slavery, human trafficking and child marriage. The country is placed 93rd by freedom of religion, 92nd by freedom over life choices, 82nd by religious tolerance and 99th by tolerance for immigrants.
The leaders by Social Progress Index for 2014 are New Zealand, Switzerland, Iceland, the Netherlands, and Norway.
- » 'Socialist Beer' Adds Appeal to Traditional Buzludzha Fest
- » Bulgarian High School Students Win Gold, 2 Silver Medals at International Olympiad in Informatics
- » Inactivity Rate of Young People in Bulgaria at nearly 73% in 2014
- » Robbie Williams to Perform With His Father at Bulgaria's Spirit of Burgas
- » Bulgaria Will Have World's Most Rapidly Shrinking Population in Next 35 Years - UN
- » Thracian Treasures Return to Bulgaria After Exhibition in Louvre