Bulgaria Is Not That Attractive For Migrants Anymore
Bulgaria is now fully prepared for the migrant wave and is expecting it, but is not so attractive anymore, said Nikolai Chirpanliev, head of the State Refugee Agency (SRA).
According to Chirpanliev, it was normal that with the improving of the weather, the number of illegal immigrants to increase, but there is not much of an influx, after the potential migrants realised that they will have to remain in Bulgaria.
“Someone had lied to those people that when they get a refugee status, they would be able to go to whichever EU country they like,” Chirpanliev told bTV. “But it must be clear for them, and we tell them every day, that they actually need a visa for that.”
According to Chirpanliev, now the immigrants prefer to try their luck in entering other EU countries, but the problem with the integration of those who are in Bulgaria remains.
Currently around 8000 immigrants are expecting to receive a status from the SRA. In the refugee centers live 3418 persons, the remaining are staying elsewhere at their own expenses.
The data, quoted by Chirpanliev shows that between October 2013 and January 2014 in Bulgaria entered 11 000 illegal immigrants.
- » Bulgarian-Finish Documentary “Love&Engineering” Out in Bulgarian Cinemas
- » Public Trust in Bulgarian Media Further Down in 2015 - Survey
- » Uriah Heep to Perform in Bulgaria's Ruse on May 7
- » Bulgarian Government Approves National Youth Programme
- » Train Crash in Germany Leaves at Least Several Dead
- » Egypt's 'Indiana Jones' to Reveal Details of Tutankhamun's Death in Sofia Lecture