Bulgaria Is Not That Attractive For Migrants Anymore
Bulgaria is now fully prepared for the migrant wave and is expecting it, but is not so attractive anymore, said Nikolai Chirpanliev, head of the State Refugee Agency (SRA).
According to Chirpanliev, it was normal that with the improving of the weather, the number of illegal immigrants to increase, but there is not much of an influx, after the potential migrants realised that they will have to remain in Bulgaria.
“Someone had lied to those people that when they get a refugee status, they would be able to go to whichever EU country they like,” Chirpanliev told bTV. “But it must be clear for them, and we tell them every day, that they actually need a visa for that.”
According to Chirpanliev, now the immigrants prefer to try their luck in entering other EU countries, but the problem with the integration of those who are in Bulgaria remains.
Currently around 8000 immigrants are expecting to receive a status from the SRA. In the refugee centers live 3418 persons, the remaining are staying elsewhere at their own expenses.
The data, quoted by Chirpanliev shows that between October 2013 and January 2014 in Bulgaria entered 11 000 illegal immigrants.
- » Enrique Iglesias to Hold First Individual Concert in Bulgaria on December 14
- » Bulgarian Invents Watch Capable of Translating Words in Two Seconds
- » England-to-Turkey Flight Diverts to Sofia Due to ‘Allegedly Drunk Passenger’
- » Bulgarian Archaeologists Discover Ancient Town Hall near Petrich
- » SE Europe's Largest Observatory Facing Closure over Lack of Funding
- » Varna to Host 11th World Animated Film Festival