EU Court of Justice Overturns Controversial Data Retention Directive
The European Court of Justice has overturned the EU Data Retention Directive, Tuesday.
The Directive allowed telephone and email providers to store private citizens' data en masse for scrutiny by investigators in later cases of serious crime.
The Court of Justice of the EU (ECJ) has declared the directive to be invalid, claiming it "entails a wide-ranging and particularly serious interference with the fundamental rights to respect for private life and to the protection of personal data."
"The fact that data are retained and subsequently used without the subscriber or registered user being informed is likely to generate in the persons concerned a feeling that their private lives are the subject of constant surveillance," the court press release said.
The Data Retention Directive was issued by the European Union in 2006, following terrorist attacks in London and Madrid, the Deutsche Welle notes.
It has been previously challenged by the human rights organization Digital Rights Ireland which filed a court action against the State in 2006 questioning the legality of Irish data-retention legislation.
- » Bulgaria’s Prime Minister: Montenegro Is Ready to Join NATO
- » Director of Bulgaria’s Registry Agency Removed from Office
- » Montenegro Is Ready to Join NATO, Bulgarian PM Says
- » Bulgaria, Montenegro to Boost Cooperation in Culture
- » Bulgarian Parliament Adopts Changes to Electronic Communications Act
- » EU Launches Proceeding on Agricultural Land Ownership Laws in Bulgaria