Lechkov’s Goal Against Germany Enters ‘World Cup Best Moments’
Yordan Lechkov's winning goal against Germany in the 1994 quarterfinal was selected in the 100 Greatest World Cup Moments of UK's The Independent.
The British edition is selecting some of the most memorable moments in the history of the competition ahead of this summer's World Cup in Brazil.
"The Germans looked a safe bet to progress from their quarter-final tie with Bulgaria at the 1994 World Cup. But they hadn't banked on playing a side inspired by Hristo Stoichkov. That year the striker was named European Footballer of the Year in recognition of his remarkable tournament.
Yet the man who scored the decisive goal in Bulgaria's 2-1 win over the Germans was journeyman midfielder Yordan Lechkov. 'The Magician' scored an audacious header with 12 minutes to play", The Independent's sports editor Simon Rice writes.
Lechkov's goal took Bulgaria to the semi-finals, where they were beaten by Italy. The summer of 1994 was a memorable one for the country, marking the best ever performance at a World Cup.
- » Bulgaria Loses to Belgium in Fed Cup
- » Bulgarian Head of State Demonstrates Football Skills at La Bombonera Stadium
- » Bulgaria Defeats Hungary, Latvia in Fed Cup
- » Bulgaria Drops to 75th Place in FIFA Ranking
- » Germany's Lothar Matthaus to Come to Sofia for Stoichkov's Birthday Show
- » ATP: Hard Work Behind Sofia Open Starting to Pay off