India Starts General Elections to be Concluded May 12
India has started voting in general elections which will be held in nine phases, with results expected to be announced on May 16.
Over 814 million voters will be able to cast ballots at 930 000 polling stations in the period April 7 – May 12 in what has been described as the world's biggest elections.
Voting is underway in in the north-eastern states of Assam and Tripura, according to reports of the BBC News.
The elections pit India's ruling Congress party, which has held power for a decade, against the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP).
The Congress party is expected to lose the elections as people are dissatisfied with the low economic growth, rampant corruption and religious unrest under the current government, according to Al Jazeera.
- » Afghanistan War Cost the United States 2,400 Killed, 20,000 Wounded and USD 840 Billion
- » The Italian Police Seized over 90,000 Eggs Infected with Fipronil
- » America Restricts US Visas to Four Countries
- » Typhoon Hato: 12 Killed as Storm Sweeps South China
- » The EU will not Discuss British Border Proposals During the Brexit Talks
- » Concert in the Netherlands Cancelled After Terror Warning From Spain