India Starts General Elections to be Concluded May 12
India has started voting in general elections which will be held in nine phases, with results expected to be announced on May 16.
Over 814 million voters will be able to cast ballots at 930 000 polling stations in the period April 7 – May 12 in what has been described as the world's biggest elections.
Voting is underway in in the north-eastern states of Assam and Tripura, according to reports of the BBC News.
The elections pit India's ruling Congress party, which has held power for a decade, against the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP).
The Congress party is expected to lose the elections as people are dissatisfied with the low economic growth, rampant corruption and religious unrest under the current government, according to Al Jazeera.
- » Victims of the Catastrophic Earthquake in Italy reach 240
- » Turkey to Open Third Bridge across Bosphorus Friday
- » Terror Attack on American University of Afghanistan Leaves at least 10 Dead
- » Serbian Hunter Suspected of Shooting Afghan Migrant Dead near Pirot
- » Turkey Starts Military Operation in Syria to Push IS Group Back from Border
- » Montenegro’s Igor Luksic Withdraws from Race for Top UN Job