Regional Council Proclaims Donetsk People’s Republic
An Act on State Sovereignty of the Donetsk People’s Republic was read out Monday at a session of the regional council, reported ITAR-TASS.
Donetsk region People’s Council established by local separatists proclaimed the creation of the republic of Donetsk and the possible joining Russia if people so vote during the referendum, due to take place no later than May 11, RIA Novosti correspondent reported Monday.
"People's Republic of Donetsk is to be created within the administrative borders of Donetsk region. This decision shall enter into force immediately after the referendum," one of the leaders of Donetsk People's council said at a meeting in the building of regional administration Monday.
The republic “will build its relations in line with international law and on the basis of equality and mutual benefits,” the document says. “The territory of the republic within the recognized borders is indivisible and inviolable.”
Groups of armed pro-Russian protesters demanding federalization of Ukraine stormed government buildings in Donetsk, Lugansk and Kharkov in eastern Ukraine on Sunday, according to local media reports.
Nearly 3 000 people reportedly took control of the national bank’s building in Lugansk. Demonstrators flooded the streets in the city, waving Russian flags and chanting “Russia! Russia!”
- » Russia Warns Google, Twitter, Facebook of Possible Blocking of Services
- » At Least 30 Casualties as Suicide Bomber Targets Shia Mosque in Saudi Arabia
- » Kristalina Georgieva Appointed Co-Chair to UN Humanitarian Financing Panel
- » David Cameron Vows to Seize Pay of Illegal Migrants Working in UK
- » Bulgaria, Italy Agree to Deepen Cooperation in Dealing with Migratory Pressure
- » Macedonian Opposition Leader Dismisses Speculation of Partitioning