Regional Council Proclaims Donetsk People’s Republic
An Act on State Sovereignty of the Donetsk People’s Republic was read out Monday at a session of the regional council, reported ITAR-TASS.
Donetsk region People’s Council established by local separatists proclaimed the creation of the republic of Donetsk and the possible joining Russia if people so vote during the referendum, due to take place no later than May 11, RIA Novosti correspondent reported Monday.
"People's Republic of Donetsk is to be created within the administrative borders of Donetsk region. This decision shall enter into force immediately after the referendum," one of the leaders of Donetsk People's council said at a meeting in the building of regional administration Monday.
The republic “will build its relations in line with international law and on the basis of equality and mutual benefits,” the document says. “The territory of the republic within the recognized borders is indivisible and inviolable.”
Groups of armed pro-Russian protesters demanding federalization of Ukraine stormed government buildings in Donetsk, Lugansk and Kharkov in eastern Ukraine on Sunday, according to local media reports.
Nearly 3 000 people reportedly took control of the national bank’s building in Lugansk. Demonstrators flooded the streets in the city, waving Russian flags and chanting “Russia! Russia!”
- » US Air Strikes Help Iraq Repel IS Offensive on Mosul Dam
- » European Parliament Approves Jean-Claude Juncker Commission
- » New European Commission To Be Voted Wednesday In Strasbourg
- » UK to Send Spy Drones Over Syria in Broadening of Anti-IS Campaign
- » Turkey Adopts Tough Measures Against Violation of Public Order
- » Russian State Telecom To Launch Counterpart of Skype