Mayor of Bulgaria's Vidin Luckily Escapes Molotov Bomb Plot
Gergo Gergov, Mayor of Bulgaria's northwestern city of Vidin, has reported an unsuccessful report on his life.
Speaking at an extraordinary press conference on Sunday, he announced that a Molotov bomb had been placed overnight under his car parked in his yard.
Gergov, as cited by the Bulgarian Telegraph Agency, explained that the improvised explosive device had not gone off because the fuse had gone out.
He noted that his life and that of his family – his wife and two sons, a nine-year-old boy and a baby several months old, had been miraculously saved.
Gergov said that he had discovered the Molotov bomb Sunday morning as he had gone out to attend the opening ceremony for a philatelic exhibition. He said that he had notified the police immediately.
The Mayor of Vidin pointed out that he had been the target of a number of attacks, adding that all of them had been reported to the police. He attributed the aggression against him to his uncompromising policy aimed at achieving a stabilization of the financial situation of the municipality."
He also reminded of a recent violation against the property of municipal councilor Plamen Trifonov which was also being investigated by the authorities.
There has been no official statement by Bulgaria's Interior Ministry on the matter so far.
- » Migrant Smuggling Network Dismantled Near Dunav Bridge Checkpoint
- » Man’s Body Found in Front of Residential Building in Sofia, Regions is Closed Off
- » Car Explodes in Yahinovo Village, One Person Detained
- » Sofia Regional Prosecutor’s Office Detains 49-year-old Man Accused of Murder in Etropole Town
- » About 10 Cars Burn Down at a Parking Lot on Montevideo Str.
- » Man and Woman Detained For the Murder of the Taxi Driver in Varna