No Risk of Funding Suspension – Bulgarian EU Funds Committee Chair
There is no risk of EU funds suspension, Bulgaria's government is making every effort to prevent it, Denitsa Karadzhova, EU Affairs and EU Funds Oversight Committee chair assured.
On 3 April, European Parliament called on the EU's Commission to "seriously consider" the possibility of freezing European funds for Bulgaria. The proposal came as part of a report prepared by the EU's budget committee on the implementation of 2012 EU budget.
Karadzhova stressed that the recommendation would not have any legal consequences for Bulgaria. According to her, it was a traditional report, prepared for all EU member states, including Bulgaria, Dnes agency informed.
"An extra article has been added to the report with a purely political purpose which almost suggests that the problem of corruption and procurement in Bulgaria is so serious that it should be reconsidered whether we are able to manage EU funds," Karadzhova claimed adding that the members of the European People's Party (EPP) have taken advantage of the situation prior to the forthcoming European elections.
"No EU funds for Bulgaria have been suspended, on the contrary, the government has saved hundreds of millions of Euros at the end of last year," Deputy Prime Minister Zinaida Zlatanova announced in Brussels, cited by Bulgarian News Agency.
"There have been many speculations that the report refers to the current government. Let me remind you that the EU's budget committee report concerns the implementation of 2012 EU budget," Zlatanova said.
She added that it is not surprising the recommendation comes in a pre-election period.
- » Prime Minister Borisov: Bulgaria will Provide EUR 500 000 to the Trust Fund for Africa
- » Donald Tusk Proposes Sofia to Host a Western Balkans Summit
- » 55% of Bulgarians are Optimistic About the EU Presidency
- » Estonia Supports Bulgaria's Entry into Schengen
- » Europe can Sue Bulgaria for Lack of Access to 112 Emergency Number for Deaf People
- » Bulgaria will be the Center of Dialogue for the Digital Single Market