Bulgarian Journalists Stage Solidarity Protest
Bulgarian journalists protested in front of the Interior Ministry's headquarters in Sofia, to show their solidarity for the arson attack on bTV's Genka Shikerova.
Shikerova's car was set alight on Tuesday night, parked in front of her home. This was the second such act against her, after her previous car was inflamed last September.
Journalists from a number of leading media, as well as citizens gathered on Friday morning to express their solidarity with Shikerova, and to voice their anger at the lack of response from the authorities.
Bulgaria has seen an increase in attacks against journalists, but rarely is justice served. The protesters are concerned that all these incidents serve one sole purpose – to try limiting the media freedom in the country.
The journalists request a meeting with Interior Minister Tsvetlin Yovchev, Standartnews reports. On his part, Yovchev has invited several representatives of the media to his office for discussions.
Protests are also taking place in Plovdiv.
- » Stara Zagora, Best City For Living in Bulgaria For 2016
- » Checks into Quality of Imported Foodstuffs to Begin
- » Cosmonaut Georgi Ivanov Taken to Hospital in Serious Condition
- » NSI: Museum Visits in 2016 Have Increased by 9.8%
- » Victor Bojinov Delves Into Bulgarian History in ‘’Heights’’
- » NIMH: Short Rains with Thunders in the Afternoon