Bulgarian Journalists Stage Solidarity Protest
Bulgarian journalists protested in front of the Interior Ministry's headquarters in Sofia, to show their solidarity for the arson attack on bTV's Genka Shikerova.
Shikerova's car was set alight on Tuesday night, parked in front of her home. This was the second such act against her, after her previous car was inflamed last September.
Journalists from a number of leading media, as well as citizens gathered on Friday morning to express their solidarity with Shikerova, and to voice their anger at the lack of response from the authorities.
Bulgaria has seen an increase in attacks against journalists, but rarely is justice served. The protesters are concerned that all these incidents serve one sole purpose – to try limiting the media freedom in the country.
The journalists request a meeting with Interior Minister Tsvetlin Yovchev, Standartnews reports. On his part, Yovchev has invited several representatives of the media to his office for discussions.
Protests are also taking place in Plovdiv.
- » Bulgaria Honors St Theodore with Horse Racing
- » The White House Attacking with a Car was Deliberate, but it was not Dangerous
- » The Road Infrastructure Agency has Warned of Snow and Strong Winds from Sunday
- » Bulgaria, Lithuania and Romania are the Countries with the Lowest Minimum Wage in the EU
- » There are no More Wild Horses on Earth
- » Brussels Introduces Free Public Transport and a Ban on Movement in Case of Air Pollution