Sofia Celebrates 135 Years As Bulgaria's Capital
A number of cultural events and celebrations will mark the 135th anniversary of the proclamation of Sofia the capital of Bulgaria on 3 April, 1879.
"After being declared a capital city, Sofia became the most important social and administrative center of the country. The name of the city means wisdom. Hopefully, this spiritual value will keep us united today. Our role as a municipality is important - to continue working for the development of our city," Sofia mayor Yordanka Fandakova said during her congratulatory speech.
The application of Sofia and the Southwest region for the European Capital of Culture in 2019 can help reveal the great potential and resources of the city, Fandakova claimed.
The Sofia Wind Orchestra, Dixie Boys Band and the Sofia brass quintet will be among the artists to perform at different spots in the capital's city center.
- » Cherry Poppin' Daddies To Play In Sofia Again
- » Sozopol Hosts 30-th Edition of Apollonia Art Festival
- » Bulgarian Authorities 'Abdicated' Culture - Interim Minister
- » Sofia's Cultural Calendar Swelling with Performaces in End-August
- » Bulgarian Orthodox Christians Honor St. Ivan Rilski
- » Photo Exhibition Of Sofia's Old Public Baths To Be Set Up