Bulgarian President, EU Council Chief Discuss Syrian Refugee Crisis
President Rosen Plevneliev discussed the situation of Syrian refugees in Bulgaria at a meeting with EU Council President Herman Van Rompuy in Brussels.
During the meeting with Van Rompuy late on Tuesday, Plevneliev emphasized that Bulgaria had adopted a number of measures aimed at coping with the migratory pressure, adding that the living conditions at refugee centers had improved substantially thanks to European solidarity.
Bulgaria's head of state emphasized that a national action plan was being implemented and that experts were preparing a strategy on the integration of asylum seekers.
Rosen Plevneliev and Herman Van Rompuy also discussed the upcoming European Parliament elections and their significance for the future of Europe, according to reports of the BGNES news agency.
The two agreed that Europe needed strong leaders and efficient institutions functioning to the benefit of citizens.
The EU enlargement process towards the Western Balkans was also on the agenda of the talks between the Bulgarian President and the EU Council President.
Plevneliev argued that 100 years after World War I the Balkans had become a peaceful region exemplifying a successful integration process which kept working to boost connectivity, including by building new roads and energy connections.
"The European outlook lies at the basis of these positive changes, which is why Bulgaria firmly backs the EU integration of the countries in the region and provides them with expert assistance" Plevneliev said.
Rosen Plevneliev and Herman Van Rompuy also exchanged views on the development of the situation in Ukraine and the need to sign EU Association Agreements with Moldova and Georgia as soon as possible.
- » Bulgaria to Participate in EU Operation on Tackling Human Traffickers in Mediterranean
- » Council of Europe anti-torture Committee Head Condemns Bulgaria’s Failure to Report Police Brutality Cases
- » EU to Allocate EUR 25 M to Bulgaria, Turkey for Cross-Border Cooperation
- » EU Allocates EUR 6.3 M to Bulgaria for Recovery after Severe Winter
- » PM Borisov Highlights Bulgaria’s Contribution to EU Security in Talks with Mogherini
- » EU Foreign Policy Chief Mogherini To Meet with Bulgaria’s PM, President in Sofia