Bulgarian President, EU Council Chief Discuss Syrian Refugee Crisis
President Rosen Plevneliev discussed the situation of Syrian refugees in Bulgaria at a meeting with EU Council President Herman Van Rompuy in Brussels.
During the meeting with Van Rompuy late on Tuesday, Plevneliev emphasized that Bulgaria had adopted a number of measures aimed at coping with the migratory pressure, adding that the living conditions at refugee centers had improved substantially thanks to European solidarity.
Bulgaria's head of state emphasized that a national action plan was being implemented and that experts were preparing a strategy on the integration of asylum seekers.
Rosen Plevneliev and Herman Van Rompuy also discussed the upcoming European Parliament elections and their significance for the future of Europe, according to reports of the BGNES news agency.
The two agreed that Europe needed strong leaders and efficient institutions functioning to the benefit of citizens.
The EU enlargement process towards the Western Balkans was also on the agenda of the talks between the Bulgarian President and the EU Council President.
Plevneliev argued that 100 years after World War I the Balkans had become a peaceful region exemplifying a successful integration process which kept working to boost connectivity, including by building new roads and energy connections.
"The European outlook lies at the basis of these positive changes, which is why Bulgaria firmly backs the EU integration of the countries in the region and provides them with expert assistance" Plevneliev said.
Rosen Plevneliev and Herman Van Rompuy also exchanged views on the development of the situation in Ukraine and the need to sign EU Association Agreements with Moldova and Georgia as soon as possible.
- » The EU Grants BGN 111 Million to Replace Solid Fuel Stoves and Heaters in 21 Bulgarian Cities
- » Producers of the Famous Bulgarian Rose Protest Because of the Low Purchase Price
- » First Comments from Euroleaders at the EU-Western Balkans Summit
- » Virtual Reality – The future of European industry at WATIFY: Inspire to Transform
- » The best WATIFY Technological Transformation for 2018 is…
- » Minister of EC Presidency Pavlova: We will Investigate the Spending of EU Funds