Million Evacuated After Deadly Chile Earthquake
Close to 1 million residents have been evacuated after Tuesday night's 8.2 magnitude earthquake in northern Chile.
"More than 900,000 people and 11 hospitals were evacuated along the Chilean coastline", local officials said, quoted by ABC News. The death toll is reported at 6.
The initial tsunami warning that was issued has now been canceled, however a state of emergency remains. Chile's President Michelle Bachelet has ordered the deployment of armed forces to the north of the country, to prevent looting. As many as 300 prisoners had escaped in the city of Iquique, and only 39 have been captured so far.
At least 8 aftershocks have been recorded, with the strongest one at 6.2 magnitude.
- » German Tourists Bring Hitler Mugs From Bulgaria, Face Court
- » MH17 'Black Box' Data Intact, Not Tampered With
- » Air Algerie Plane Wreck Found In Mali
- » Dutch Call for Deportation of Putin's Daughter From the Netherlands
- » Missing Air Algerie Passenger Plane with 116 on Board Crashes in Niger
- » Algerian Plane with 110 Passengers On Board Goes Missing