Million Evacuated After Deadly Chile Earthquake
Close to 1 million residents have been evacuated after Tuesday night's 8.2 magnitude earthquake in northern Chile.
"More than 900,000 people and 11 hospitals were evacuated along the Chilean coastline", local officials said, quoted by ABC News. The death toll is reported at 6.
The initial tsunami warning that was issued has now been canceled, however a state of emergency remains. Chile's President Michelle Bachelet has ordered the deployment of armed forces to the north of the country, to prevent looting. As many as 300 prisoners had escaped in the city of Iquique, and only 39 have been captured so far.
At least 8 aftershocks have been recorded, with the strongest one at 6.2 magnitude.
- » Twitter Blocked More than 1,000 Users for "Targeted Spam"
- » Turkey Announced the Offensive Against the Syrian City of Afrin
- » Roscosmos is Considering the Commercialization of the Russian ISS Segment
- » Prime Minister of New Zealand goes on Maternity Leave
- » At the End of 2017, China's Population Grew to 1.39 billion
- » Russia Accused the Ukrainian Authorities of Preparing for a New War