Million Evacuated After Deadly Chile Earthquake
Close to 1 million residents have been evacuated after Tuesday night's 8.2 magnitude earthquake in northern Chile.
"More than 900,000 people and 11 hospitals were evacuated along the Chilean coastline", local officials said, quoted by ABC News. The death toll is reported at 6.
The initial tsunami warning that was issued has now been canceled, however a state of emergency remains. Chile's President Michelle Bachelet has ordered the deployment of armed forces to the north of the country, to prevent looting. As many as 300 prisoners had escaped in the city of Iquique, and only 39 have been captured so far.
At least 8 aftershocks have been recorded, with the strongest one at 6.2 magnitude.
- » Bulgaria Voices Support for Macedonia’s Territorial Integrity
- » Monument of Turkmen President Now Erected in Ashgabat
- » Russia Starts Snap Drills of Central District Air Force, Air Defence Group
- » ESM Head Klaus Regling Emphasizes Need for Prompt Action in Greece
- » Turkey President Says NY Times Should 'Know Its Place'
- » Bulgarian Vessel Taking Part in Romanian Naval Drill