Million Evacuated After Deadly Chile Earthquake
Close to 1 million residents have been evacuated after Tuesday night's 8.2 magnitude earthquake in northern Chile.
"More than 900,000 people and 11 hospitals were evacuated along the Chilean coastline", local officials said, quoted by ABC News. The death toll is reported at 6.
The initial tsunami warning that was issued has now been canceled, however a state of emergency remains. Chile's President Michelle Bachelet has ordered the deployment of armed forces to the north of the country, to prevent looting. As many as 300 prisoners had escaped in the city of Iquique, and only 39 have been captured so far.
At least 8 aftershocks have been recorded, with the strongest one at 6.2 magnitude.
- » Europol Warns of New IS Terror Tactics in Europe
- » France's Hollande Not to Seek 2nd Term
- » Erdogan: Turkey Has Lost Its Patience Regarding EU Accession
- » EP Approves EU-USA Agreement on Personal Data Protection
- » Famous Media Boss Arrested in Turkey
- » Turkey’s AKP, Opposition Reach Agreement on Constitutional Amendments