Chile Can Expect Bigger Quake, Says Expert
Experts warn of potential stronger earthquakes in Chile, after an 8.2 magnitude quake killed at least 5 people on Tuesday night.
"This magnitude 8.2 is not the large earthquake that we were expecting in this area", California geophysicist Mark Simons told CNN.
Chile lies on a highly active seismic zone, and the country has seen multiple earthquakes of above 7.0 in the last decades. In 2010, an 8.8-magnitude tremor killed 525 people in the South American country.
"We expect another 8.8-8.9 earthquake here sometime in the future", Simons said, but added that it may also happen many years from now.
- » Desecrated Bulgarian Memorial Plaque 'Was Illegal', Skopje Says
- » Macedonia's PM 'Promised to React' on Bulgarian Monument Desecration
- » Turkey Raises Concerns over US Arming of Syrian Kurds
- » EU Council Head Calls for Stricter External Border Control
- » EIB OKs EUR 7.3 B for Investment in Europe
- » New Quake Hits Romania's Vrancea