Chile Can Expect Bigger Quake, Says Expert
Experts warn of potential stronger earthquakes in Chile, after an 8.2 magnitude quake killed at least 5 people on Tuesday night.
"This magnitude 8.2 is not the large earthquake that we were expecting in this area", California geophysicist Mark Simons told CNN.
Chile lies on a highly active seismic zone, and the country has seen multiple earthquakes of above 7.0 in the last decades. In 2010, an 8.8-magnitude tremor killed 525 people in the South American country.
"We expect another 8.8-8.9 earthquake here sometime in the future", Simons said, but added that it may also happen many years from now.
- » Hungary Proposes to Send Police to Help Serbia Guard Borders against Migrants
- » Italy Issues State of Emergency Over Catastrophic Earthquake
- » Victims of the Catastrophic Earthquake in Italy reach 240
- » Turkey to Open Third Bridge across Bosphorus Friday
- » Terror Attack on American University of Afghanistan Leaves at least 10 Dead
- » Serbian Hunter Suspected of Shooting Afghan Migrant Dead near Pirot