Chile Can Expect Bigger Quake, Says Expert
Experts warn of potential stronger earthquakes in Chile, after an 8.2 magnitude quake killed at least 5 people on Tuesday night.
"This magnitude 8.2 is not the large earthquake that we were expecting in this area", California geophysicist Mark Simons told CNN.
Chile lies on a highly active seismic zone, and the country has seen multiple earthquakes of above 7.0 in the last decades. In 2010, an 8.8-magnitude tremor killed 525 people in the South American country.
"We expect another 8.8-8.9 earthquake here sometime in the future", Simons said, but added that it may also happen many years from now.
- » Clashes, Grenade Explosion Take Place Outside Ukraine’s Parliament
- » Bulgaria Police Helping Patrol along Hungary-Serbia Border
- » Authorities Detain Fourth Bulgarian over Dead Migrants Found in Truck in Austria
- » Hungary Completes Fence at Border with Serbia Earlier Than Planned
- » Russia, Germany, France Call for Full Ceasefire in Ukraine Starting on September 1
- » Hundreds of Migrants Feared Dead as Boat Sinks off Libya