Chile Can Expect Bigger Quake, Says Expert
Experts warn of potential stronger earthquakes in Chile, after an 8.2 magnitude quake killed at least 5 people on Tuesday night.
"This magnitude 8.2 is not the large earthquake that we were expecting in this area", California geophysicist Mark Simons told CNN.
Chile lies on a highly active seismic zone, and the country has seen multiple earthquakes of above 7.0 in the last decades. In 2010, an 8.8-magnitude tremor killed 525 people in the South American country.
"We expect another 8.8-8.9 earthquake here sometime in the future", Simons said, but added that it may also happen many years from now.
- » Bulgaria FM: EU 'to Launch Proceedings' against Greece over Border Blockade
- » Greece Giving 'No Information' on Border Blockade Hours
- » Canada to Stop Bombing IS, Stepping Up Training of Local Troops
- » Russia Detains Suspected IS Cell Plotting Attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg
- » Ilinden Crossing on Bulgaria-Greece Border Expected to Reopen at 10 p.m. Monday
- » IOM: Migrant Arrivals to Europe Likely to Exceed One Million in 2016