Chile Can Expect Bigger Quake, Says Expert
Experts warn of potential stronger earthquakes in Chile, after an 8.2 magnitude quake killed at least 5 people on Tuesday night.
"This magnitude 8.2 is not the large earthquake that we were expecting in this area", California geophysicist Mark Simons told CNN.
Chile lies on a highly active seismic zone, and the country has seen multiple earthquakes of above 7.0 in the last decades. In 2010, an 8.8-magnitude tremor killed 525 people in the South American country.
"We expect another 8.8-8.9 earthquake here sometime in the future", Simons said, but added that it may also happen many years from now.
- » Iraq Starts Airstrikes on IS with Help from New Intelligence Data Centre
- » Moldova Joins EU’s CESEC Gas Connectivity Initiative
- » Two Mines Fall on Site of Russian Embassy Compound in Damascus, No One Injured
- » MH17 Hit by Russian-Made Buk Missile - Dutch Report
- » Israel Attacks Leave at Least 2 Dead, Many Wounded
- » EU Ready to Temporarily Lift Belarus Sanctions