Chile Can Expect Bigger Quake, Says Expert
Experts warn of potential stronger earthquakes in Chile, after an 8.2 magnitude quake killed at least 5 people on Tuesday night.
"This magnitude 8.2 is not the large earthquake that we were expecting in this area", California geophysicist Mark Simons told CNN.
Chile lies on a highly active seismic zone, and the country has seen multiple earthquakes of above 7.0 in the last decades. In 2010, an 8.8-magnitude tremor killed 525 people in the South American country.
"We expect another 8.8-8.9 earthquake here sometime in the future", Simons said, but added that it may also happen many years from now.
- » Bulgaria's IntMin Reports Slight Increase in Migrant Pressure on Border with Turkey
- » Western Experts Consider Irina Bokova Among Most Suitable Candidates for UN Chief
- » EC Proposes Measures to Improve E-Commerce, Increase Customer Trust
- » Eurogroup Agrees to Release Next Tranche of Greek Bailout
- » Leader of Turkey's Ruling Party Announces New Cabinet
- » Greece Begins Relocation of Migrants from Idomeni Refugee Camp