Chile Can Expect Bigger Quake, Says Expert
Experts warn of potential stronger earthquakes in Chile, after an 8.2 magnitude quake killed at least 5 people on Tuesday night.
"This magnitude 8.2 is not the large earthquake that we were expecting in this area", California geophysicist Mark Simons told CNN.
Chile lies on a highly active seismic zone, and the country has seen multiple earthquakes of above 7.0 in the last decades. In 2010, an 8.8-magnitude tremor killed 525 people in the South American country.
"We expect another 8.8-8.9 earthquake here sometime in the future", Simons said, but added that it may also happen many years from now.
- » An Australian Senator Appeared Wearing Burka in Parliament
- » Italy Recorded the Strongest Economic Growth of 6 Years
- » Greece Angered at Turkey that they Disputed Marine Border
- » Ryanair Filed a Complaint with the EU over Air Berlin Bankruptcy
- » French Pilots Claim EasyJet is Risking Safety by Scheduling Too Many Flights
- » EU Helps Mobilise Planes, Vehicles and Firefighters to Help Portugal