Chile Can Expect Bigger Quake, Says Expert
Experts warn of potential stronger earthquakes in Chile, after an 8.2 magnitude quake killed at least 5 people on Tuesday night.
"This magnitude 8.2 is not the large earthquake that we were expecting in this area", California geophysicist Mark Simons told CNN.
Chile lies on a highly active seismic zone, and the country has seen multiple earthquakes of above 7.0 in the last decades. In 2010, an 8.8-magnitude tremor killed 525 people in the South American country.
"We expect another 8.8-8.9 earthquake here sometime in the future", Simons said, but added that it may also happen many years from now.
- » German Military Rule out Cooperation with Syria Govt in Anti-IS Strikes
- » Obama Expresses Regret to Putin Over Downed Su-24 Bomber
- » Vice-President Georgieva: Restricting Free Movement of People Will be Harsh Blow to EU
- » Putin 'Not Planning to Meet Erdogan' at Paris Climate Talks
- » Turkey's Erdogan Says Ready to Meet Putin over Russia Plane
- » Turkey Gets EUR 3 B, Visa Waiver to Deter EU-Bound Migrants