Chile Can Expect Bigger Quake, Says Expert
Experts warn of potential stronger earthquakes in Chile, after an 8.2 magnitude quake killed at least 5 people on Tuesday night.
"This magnitude 8.2 is not the large earthquake that we were expecting in this area", California geophysicist Mark Simons told CNN.
Chile lies on a highly active seismic zone, and the country has seen multiple earthquakes of above 7.0 in the last decades. In 2010, an 8.8-magnitude tremor killed 525 people in the South American country.
"We expect another 8.8-8.9 earthquake here sometime in the future", Simons said, but added that it may also happen many years from now.
- » Bulgaria Signs Protocol on EU’s Readmission Agreement with Turkey
- » Turkey PM to Stand Down after Party Congress in May
- » Davutoglu's Future as Turkey PM Unclear As AKP Congress Scheduled
- » ECB to Stop Producing EUR 500 Note
- » EU Recommends Visa-Free Travel for Turkish Citizens
- » EU Proposes to Extend Border Controls inside Schengen Area