Chile Can Expect Bigger Quake, Says Expert
Experts warn of potential stronger earthquakes in Chile, after an 8.2 magnitude quake killed at least 5 people on Tuesday night.
"This magnitude 8.2 is not the large earthquake that we were expecting in this area", California geophysicist Mark Simons told CNN.
Chile lies on a highly active seismic zone, and the country has seen multiple earthquakes of above 7.0 in the last decades. In 2010, an 8.8-magnitude tremor killed 525 people in the South American country.
"We expect another 8.8-8.9 earthquake here sometime in the future", Simons said, but added that it may also happen many years from now.
- » Greece 'Will Request Multi-Year Bailout' Prior to EU-28 Summit on Sunday
- » Mysterious Flags in Kiev Downtown: Russian or Bulgarian?
- » Eurogroup Waiting for New Reform Proposal from Greece
- » Stoltenberg Welcomes Montenegro’s Progress on Path to NATO
- » Nuclear Talks with Iran to Go on Past Tuesday, EU’s Mogherini Says
- » EU Commission, Parliament Presidents Express Opposition to Grexit