Chile Can Expect Bigger Quake, Says Expert
Experts warn of potential stronger earthquakes in Chile, after an 8.2 magnitude quake killed at least 5 people on Tuesday night.
"This magnitude 8.2 is not the large earthquake that we were expecting in this area", California geophysicist Mark Simons told CNN.
Chile lies on a highly active seismic zone, and the country has seen multiple earthquakes of above 7.0 in the last decades. In 2010, an 8.8-magnitude tremor killed 525 people in the South American country.
"We expect another 8.8-8.9 earthquake here sometime in the future", Simons said, but added that it may also happen many years from now.
- » NATO Urges Macedonia to Form Govt
- » Macedonia's SDSM Poised to Get Govt Mandate after Deal with Albanians
- » Thousands Stage Pro-Govt Rally in Southern Romania
- » Germany Not To Allow Erdogan's Meeting for Referendum on Constitutional Amendments
- » European MPs To Call On EC To Reinstate Visa Regime for US Citizens
- » 136 Turkish Diplomats Request Asylum in Germany