Chile Can Expect Bigger Quake, Says Expert
Experts warn of potential stronger earthquakes in Chile, after an 8.2 magnitude quake killed at least 5 people on Tuesday night.
"This magnitude 8.2 is not the large earthquake that we were expecting in this area", California geophysicist Mark Simons told CNN.
Chile lies on a highly active seismic zone, and the country has seen multiple earthquakes of above 7.0 in the last decades. In 2010, an 8.8-magnitude tremor killed 525 people in the South American country.
"We expect another 8.8-8.9 earthquake here sometime in the future", Simons said, but added that it may also happen many years from now.
- » 'Greece Will Return to Democracy, Social Cohesion, Dignity,' Tsipras Says
- » Ukraine Marks Day of National Mourning after Mariupol Rocket Attacks
- » Greeks Vote in Decisive Early Election
- » Ukraine’s PM Calls for Urgent UN Security Council Meeting over Mariupol Shelling
- » Rocket Fire Kills At Least 15 in Ukraine’s Mariupol, Police Says
- » Greece's Lefist SYRIZA Extends Lead over Conservatives Ahead of Sunday’s Vote