Chile Can Expect Bigger Quake, Says Expert
Experts warn of potential stronger earthquakes in Chile, after an 8.2 magnitude quake killed at least 5 people on Tuesday night.
"This magnitude 8.2 is not the large earthquake that we were expecting in this area", California geophysicist Mark Simons told CNN.
Chile lies on a highly active seismic zone, and the country has seen multiple earthquakes of above 7.0 in the last decades. In 2010, an 8.8-magnitude tremor killed 525 people in the South American country.
"We expect another 8.8-8.9 earthquake here sometime in the future", Simons said, but added that it may also happen many years from now.
- » Gazprom Paid USD 1 B to Eni, EDF, Wintershall for 50% Stake in South Stream
- » Greece Said to Be Seeking Gas Price Cut, Lifting of Food Ban from Russia
- » Shootout Outside US NSA Building Appears ‘Local Criminal Matter’
- » One Shot Dead, One Injured in Gate-Crashing Attack at US’ NSA HQ
- » Two Injured at US’ National Security Agency HQ Gates, Shots Fired - Reports
- » British Parliament Dissolved as Election Campaign Begins