Chile Can Expect Bigger Quake, Says Expert
Experts warn of potential stronger earthquakes in Chile, after an 8.2 magnitude quake killed at least 5 people on Tuesday night.
"This magnitude 8.2 is not the large earthquake that we were expecting in this area", California geophysicist Mark Simons told CNN.
Chile lies on a highly active seismic zone, and the country has seen multiple earthquakes of above 7.0 in the last decades. In 2010, an 8.8-magnitude tremor killed 525 people in the South American country.
"We expect another 8.8-8.9 earthquake here sometime in the future", Simons said, but added that it may also happen many years from now.
- » Kiev, Pro-Moscow Rebels Agree to Set Buffer Zone to Bolster Ceasefire
- » First French Air Strikes Against Islamic State Destroy Supply Depot
- » Russia Mulls Isolating Itself from Global Internet
- » UK Retains Commitment to Devolution after Scotland's 'No'
- » Serbia Cuts Pensions, Public Sector Salaries
- » Albania's Parliament Dismisses Central Bank Governor