Chile Can Expect Bigger Quake, Says Expert
Experts warn of potential stronger earthquakes in Chile, after an 8.2 magnitude quake killed at least 5 people on Tuesday night.
"This magnitude 8.2 is not the large earthquake that we were expecting in this area", California geophysicist Mark Simons told CNN.
Chile lies on a highly active seismic zone, and the country has seen multiple earthquakes of above 7.0 in the last decades. In 2010, an 8.8-magnitude tremor killed 525 people in the South American country.
"We expect another 8.8-8.9 earthquake here sometime in the future", Simons said, but added that it may also happen many years from now.
- » US Calls for Greek Reforms as Athens Nears Energy Deal with Russia
- » Over 10,000 African Migrants Fled to Italy This Week
- » Kosovo FM to Attend Belgrade Conference, Risks Being Arrested
- » Julian Assange to Be Interrogated by Swedish Prosecutors in London
- » UN Calls for Immediate Ceasefire in Yemen as Special Adviser Resigns
- » Another Ukrainian Journalist Found Dead, Murder Suspected