Bulgaria's Customs and Police Seized 1,000 kg Drugs in 2014
Since the beginning of the year, Bulgaria's customs and police officers have seized 1,000 kg drugs, Interior Ministry chief secretary Svetlozar Lazarov announced, Tuesday.
At a special press conference Lazarov explained that the joint efforts of the teams of the Customs office and the National Revenue Agency have already yielded concrete results, BGNES informs.
"The two offices are working together and they can no longer carry out individual checks. External border teams comprise of Border Police officers and the Customs Executive Agency representatives, and the mobile groups are always joined by Interior Ministry officials," Lazarov said.
Among the major operations are those for the confiscation of nearly 1,400 kg contraband sugar, and 1,000 kg meat, BGNES reports.
According to its director Momchil Vasilev, a new drug channel was established through Bulgaria in the past two years, which takes cocaine from South America via Western Africa through Greece and Bulgaria, for Western Europe.
- » Automobile Administration Agency Officials from Pleven Charged with Abuse of Office
- » Municipal Officials in Brezovo Charged over Pension Fund Fraud Scheme
- » Bulgarian Hacker Gets 30-Month Jail Term in US
- » Second Instance Confirms Jail Term For Ahmed Dogan's Attacker
- » Varna Court Asked to Extradite Convicted Drug Smuggler to Germany
- » Deputy Mayor, Municipal Secretary, Banking Official Arrested over Pension Scheme Fraud