Mihaylov Reelected as Bulgarian Football Union President
Bulgarian Football Union president Borislav Mihayov was expectedly reelected at the Union’s congress on Friday.
A total of 461 BFU delegates voted in favor of Mihaylov’s reelection, while 26 voted against. Six of the ballots were declared invalid.
“Thank you for the trust; you have elected me for the third time now. I hope to justify your trust,” Mihaylov said.
The former national team goalkeeper, who was part of Bulgaria's famous 1994 World Cup bronze medal team, assumed the position in 2005, taking over from Ivan Slavkov.
Over the years, Mihaylov was often under fire for the poor performances of the national team, the dismal condition of football stadiums and training bases, as well as controversial refereeing and failure to combat match fixing.
- » Top Court for Sport Upholds IAAF Ban on Russian Athletes from Rio Olympics
- » Bulgaria's Pironkova Climbs Up World Tennis Ranking
- » Bulgaria's Ludogorets Defeats Mladost Podgorica 2:0 in Champions League Qualifier
- » Bulgaria Claims Gold at Rhythmic Gymnastics World Cup in Kazan
- » Ivet Lalova Claims Third Silver Medal for Bulgaria at Euro Athletics Championship
- » Bulgaria's Ivet Lalova Qualifies for 100 M Final at Euro Athletics Championship