Znepol, Melnik Bishops Voted Finalists in Varna Metropolitan Race
Bulgarian Znepol Bishop Yoan (John) and Melnik Bishop Seraphim were selected Sunday as the two finalists in the election of a new Varna and Veliki Preslav metropolitan
Yoan received 22 votes and he leads the race. Bishop Seraphim received 19 votes.
The decision came after representatives of both clergy and laity said they have grounds to believe that the election was rigged.
The first round vote, which took place on November 17, elected Bachkovo Monastery abbot Boris and little-known bishop Ignatius as contestants for the second round.
If no violations are established, the Holy Synod will make the choice between the two frontrunners on Sunday, December 22.
The Varna and Veliki Preslav metropolitan bishop seat became vacated - or "widowed" in Bulgarian Orthodox Christian parlance - after the July mystery drowning death of controversial former bishop Kiril.
- » Blast at Explosives Factory in NW Bulgaria Cuts Off Power Supply to 2 Hydropower Plants
- » Fire Safety Service Holds Emergency Meeting over Blast at Explosives Factory in NW Bulgaria
- » Blast at Explosives Plant in NW Bulgaria Leaves at least 2 Injured, over 10 Feared Dead
- » 600 Thousand Bulgarians Suffer from Diabetes – Expert
- » Donations in Bulgaria Hit Record Low in 2013
- » Grigor Dimitrov Tops Forbes Bulgaria Celebrity List