Bulgaria's Border Fence Operation Going as Planned - Defense Min
The operation aiming to curb the influx of asylum-seekers through Bulgaria’s border with Turkey is going as planned, Bulgarian Defense Minister Angel Naydenov has said.
Naydenov told reporters on Thursday that the first phase of the operation has been successfully completed.
A total of 107 km of dirt roads have been built as part of the first phase.
The construction of a 30 km-long fence on part of the country’s border with Turkey is to take place during the second phase of the operation.
Bulgaria’s army began on October 24 the construction of a fence that will be used to restrict the number of refugees entering the country from Turkey.
The construction began in accordance to a decision made by Bulgarian Government at an extraordinary meeting that was held earlier in October.
Nearly 8000 people who have fled the Syrian conflict have entered Bulgaria from Turkey in search for shelter, with Bulgarian authorities saying the number of refugees in is expected to reach 11 000 by the end of 2013.
- » Joint Bulgarian-American Flight Drill Starts
- » Caretaker Government Places Gripen Jets Offer First
- » Turkish F-16s Violate Greek Airspace
- » Turkish Citizen Included in Information Database of Unwanted Foreigners In the Country Due to Posing Threat to the National Security
- » 5 German Citizens Detained For Involvement in Terrorist Organization
- » President Rumen Radev: Armed Forces at Turning Point
Great! Now the refugees will die in their thousands on some hill in the middle of nowhere out of sight of everyone. Hopefully the bodies will decompose in the spring and it will be like they were never even there. Good riddance, they deserve it. Trying to escape war and having the temerity to want to live in a freezing field with no food care of the Bulgarian taxpayer.
Well done Bulgaria, this is a moment to be proud of.