Ukraine Govt Betrayed Democracy - Freedom House
The Ukrainian government’s rejection of closer integration with the European Union (EU) is a significant step back from democracy and human rights, the Freedom House has said.
"The proposed commission is unworkable and reflects a failure on President Yanukovych's part to advance his country's best interests," said David J. Kramer, president of Freedom House.
"Yanukovych has decided it's more important to keep Tymoshenko in prison than to integrate Ukraine closer toward Europe,” Kramer said.
“He has left his country vulnerable to Vladimir Putin's threats and pressure. That will be Yanukovych’s legacy if he doesn’t reverse course.”
- » DPS Scandal 'Will Create Islamist Party in Bulgaria,' Historian Warns
- » Bulgaria C-Bank Should Improve Transparency, Prof Hanke Says
- » Greece's Exceptional Access to IMF Funding
- » Internet Trolls Not Credible, PR Expert Maxim Behar Says
- » Terror Attack 'Unlikely' in Prague-Varna Bus Incident
- » Steve Hanke: Another Greek Debt Default Is Imminent