Greece Mystery Girl Opens Bulgaria's Old Wound
A blond girl with green eyes found in a Roma family in Greece made headlines around the world.
DNA tests revealed that the child, known as Maria, aged about 4, was not related to the Roma couple with which she lived.
During the interrogation, the Roma couple gave at least five conflicting answers as to why Maria lived with them.
Greek police had suggested a possible connection with Bulgaria, from where the child could have been sold by her biological parents.
If the Bulgarian connection proves true, this would be no precedent. Children like her grow up traumatized, turns into sociopaths and victims of our own sick society, which brushes under the carpet all issues. But the issue stays there like an old would.
The old wound, which reminds us that the state has been completely ignoring child trafficking.
While Greek authorities are trying to solve the mystery of the 4-year old girl, such a case would have never been an issue on Bulgaria’s agenda.
The story of little Maria made headlines around the world, but there are hundreds of children, who are either victims of trafficking or violence, but most often of both.
- » Prof. Ingrid Shikova: UK’s Brexit Vote Unsurprising
- » Ombudsman: Burqas Ban Should Be about Discrimination, Not National Security
- » Bulgarian Intelligence ex-Head: Free Visa Regime w/ Turkey 'Threatens National Security'
- » The Zero-Sum Game of Bulgaria's Election Rules
- » Bulgaria's Migrant Hunters: Just a Symptom of Flawed Governance
- » Ilian Todorov: EU Doesn't Bar Us from Building Fence with Greece