Fabio Capello: The Bulgarian National Team Needs More Confidence
The legendary Italian football coach Fabio Capello was in Sofia on Friday as a part of the European tour of the UEFA Champions League Cup, organized by UniCredit. Fans of the game were able to get close to the most prestigious trophy in club football.
Capello, who has coached some of the continent's top teams, like Milan, Real Madrid, Roma, Juventus, and the national teams of England and Russia, was kind enough to speak to Novinite.com and Novinite.bg.
Mr. Capello, what steps must the Bulgarian national team take, in order to qualify for a European Championship or a World Cup? It seems like yet again, we were missing something.
I know the Bulgarian team well. I followed its results and watched several games. This team can improve, and you were close to making it through. The draw against Italy was a very good result. It seems, you must find a little more confidence, which is very important.
What is your impression of Bulgarian club football?
You cannot reach the top of European club football without investing money. Only when there is money to buy the world's top players, can your teams compete with the rest. That is how Italian clubs are progressing now.
What is your opinion of the EUR 100 M paid for Gareth Bale by Real Madrid, keeping in mind UEFA's “financial fair play” initiative?
I have no clue what UEFA will decide, but that is a lot of money, in my opinion.
Now you live in Russia, and coach their national team, which qualified for the World Cup. Can you see a Russian club making it to the top of the Champions League?
No, not currently. It will take some time. The level of the Russian league is not like that of the German, Spanish, English and Italian ones. There is plenty of money, but the best players still choose to go to the top 4 leagues. This may change in time, and then they can challenge for the Champions League.
- » Telerik's Vassil Terziev Shares Business Experience on the Road from Bulgaria to Palo Alto
- » Elan Zivotofsky: Good Management, Risk Taking Are Keys to Success of Start-Up Companies
- » Velizar Enchev, Founder of 'Bulgarian Spring' Movement: It Is Time for Radical Break with Neoliberal Policies
- » Gilles Clavie: We Need to Go Further and Strengthen Sofia's Visibility Abroad
- » Putin Has Little to Offer Eastern Europe, Gerd Koenen Tells DW
- » Ten-Year-Old Bulgarian Singer Krisia Dreams of Singing alongside Christina Aguilera