Bulgaria Withdraws Bid to Host Chess Candidates Tournament
Bulgaria’s Chess Federation has withdrawn the country’s bid to host the chess games of the prestigious Candidates Tournament in March 2014.
Bulgaria had submitted an application to FIDE (World Chess Federation) for the town of Kozloduy to host the tournament.
In a statement, Bulgarian Chess Federation chair Silvio Danailov explains that the move has been prompted by the “very suspicious, scandalous and shameful way” in which the Greek resort of Porto Carras was named as the host of the 2015 world youth championship.
Porto Carras was chosen instead of Bulgaria’s Black Sea resort of Albena.
Danailov has wished luck to Khanty-Mansyisk, which will almost certainly host the upcoming Candidates Tournament.
- » World Football Elite Expected to Gather in Sofia in June
- » Bulgarian Athlete Becomes New Balkan Cycling Champion
- » Bulgaria's Top Tennis Players Retain WTA, ATP Rankings
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov 'Could Replace Coach'
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Suffers Heavy Defeat in Monte Carlo
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov Overwhelmingly Defeats Wawrinka in Monte Carlo