Bulgarian Nationalists Call for Closing Border over Refugee Wave
MPs of the Bulgarian nationalist party Ataka have introduced in Parliament a motion for closing the Bulgarian border with Turkey for refugees coming from North Africa, Middle East and Syria, in particular, Ataka MP Pavel Shopov said on Friday.
Ataka's lawmakers have claimed that Bulgaria’s border with Turkey has to be closed in case of emergency based on the country’s insufficient capacity to cover all costs for providing necessary living condition for the refugees.
Bulgaria’s capacity to accommodate up to 5000 asylum-seekers will be exceeded when the next 965 people enter the country.
“We reckon that we cannot let Islamic fundamentalists and terrorists to enter so easy in the country”, Shopov claimed, adding that monthly costs for a refugee amount to BGN 1100 which exceeds the sum of the monthly pension for Bulgarian retirees.
On Friday, another controversial Bulgarian nationalist outfit, VMRO, threatened to “block” one of the country’s border checkpoints with Turkey as a sign of protest against the increasing Syrian refugee influx.
- » Bulgarian Refugee Agency ex-Official Indicted over Willful Neglect
- » Bulgarian MPs' Silence Leaves Voting System Change to Next Parliament
- » Italian Military Plane Makes Emergency Landing at Sofia Airport
- » Plovdiv's Mayor Totev Suspended by Bulgarian Court
- » Bulgarian Carriers Ready for Counter Blockade in Case of Greek Farmers Protests
- » 2.1-Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Bulgaria's Stara Zagora