Bulgarian Nationalists Call for Closing Border over Refugee Wave
MPs of the Bulgarian nationalist party Ataka have introduced in Parliament a motion for closing the Bulgarian border with Turkey for refugees coming from North Africa, Middle East and Syria, in particular, Ataka MP Pavel Shopov said on Friday.
Ataka's lawmakers have claimed that Bulgaria’s border with Turkey has to be closed in case of emergency based on the country’s insufficient capacity to cover all costs for providing necessary living condition for the refugees.
Bulgaria’s capacity to accommodate up to 5000 asylum-seekers will be exceeded when the next 965 people enter the country.
“We reckon that we cannot let Islamic fundamentalists and terrorists to enter so easy in the country”, Shopov claimed, adding that monthly costs for a refugee amount to BGN 1100 which exceeds the sum of the monthly pension for Bulgarian retirees.
On Friday, another controversial Bulgarian nationalist outfit, VMRO, threatened to “block” one of the country’s border checkpoints with Turkey as a sign of protest against the increasing Syrian refugee influx.
- » Bulgaria’s Environment Ministry Files BGN 180 000 Lawsuit against Concessionaire of Bansko Ski Zone
- » Bulgaria’s President Backs Judicial Reform through Constitutional Changes
- » Bulgarian Socialist Party to Try to Appeal New Debt of BGN 16 B at Constitutional Court
- » Increased Consumption of Cigarettes and Alcohol in Bulgaria
- » Cabinet Considers Judicial Reforms Through Constitutional Changes
- » Bulgarian Deputy PM Proposes State Social Insurance to Increase from 2017