Bulgarian Nationalists Call for Closing Border over Refugee Wave
MPs of the Bulgarian nationalist party Ataka have introduced in Parliament a motion for closing the Bulgarian border with Turkey for refugees coming from North Africa, Middle East and Syria, in particular, Ataka MP Pavel Shopov said on Friday.
Ataka's lawmakers have claimed that Bulgaria’s border with Turkey has to be closed in case of emergency based on the country’s insufficient capacity to cover all costs for providing necessary living condition for the refugees.
Bulgaria’s capacity to accommodate up to 5000 asylum-seekers will be exceeded when the next 965 people enter the country.
“We reckon that we cannot let Islamic fundamentalists and terrorists to enter so easy in the country”, Shopov claimed, adding that monthly costs for a refugee amount to BGN 1100 which exceeds the sum of the monthly pension for Bulgarian retirees.
On Friday, another controversial Bulgarian nationalist outfit, VMRO, threatened to “block” one of the country’s border checkpoints with Turkey as a sign of protest against the increasing Syrian refugee influx.
- » School Directors in Bulgaria are Seeking for 3000 Teachers
- » Bulgarian Border Police Hands Foreign Drivers Brochures on Road Traffic Rules
- » Bulgarian PM: 'We Reported Tsankov Kamak to the Prosecutor's Office Because That Installation for BGN1b is Not Working'
- » CEM Held the Hearing of Six Candidates for Director of the Bulgarian National Television
- » 500 People Working in the Summer Resort Sunny Beach are Protesting
- » With BGN 500 000, the Oldest Building of the Troyan Monastery will be Renovated