Bulgarian Nationalists Call for Closing Border over Refugee Wave
MPs of the Bulgarian nationalist party Ataka have introduced in Parliament a motion for closing the Bulgarian border with Turkey for refugees coming from North Africa, Middle East and Syria, in particular, Ataka MP Pavel Shopov said on Friday.
Ataka's lawmakers have claimed that Bulgaria’s border with Turkey has to be closed in case of emergency based on the country’s insufficient capacity to cover all costs for providing necessary living condition for the refugees.
Bulgaria’s capacity to accommodate up to 5000 asylum-seekers will be exceeded when the next 965 people enter the country.
“We reckon that we cannot let Islamic fundamentalists and terrorists to enter so easy in the country”, Shopov claimed, adding that monthly costs for a refugee amount to BGN 1100 which exceeds the sum of the monthly pension for Bulgarian retirees.
On Friday, another controversial Bulgarian nationalist outfit, VMRO, threatened to “block” one of the country’s border checkpoints with Turkey as a sign of protest against the increasing Syrian refugee influx.
- » Bulgaria’s Interior Ministry Staff to Drop to 47 000 by end-2015
- » Bulgaria DefMin Urges President to Veto Changes to Military Intelligence Act
- » FinMin: Debate on Increasing Bulgaria's Military Spending Is Forthcoming
- » Bulgarian PM Backs DefMin, Blames Predecessors for State of Air Force
- » 42 000 Bulgarians to Run for Mayors, Municipal Councillors in Local Elections
- » Bulgarian MPs to Vote on Migration Law Amendments