Bulgaria Marks Official Start of School Year
About 63 500 kids are starting school for the first time in Bulgaria on Monday, September 16th, 2013, which is the official first day of the academic year.
A total of 755 674 students will be greeted by over 127 000 teachers.
September 15 is the traditional first school day for about 3 100 primary and secondary schools in Bulgaria, but since it fell on the weekend, schools are opening doors Monday.
The academic year starts with much excitement and special ceremonies all across the country, with the participation of government ministers and other senior officials, local authorities, and foreign diplomats.
President Rosen Plevneliev will launch the academic year in the Professional High School for Agriculture in the town of Chirpan; Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski will be at the University for National and World Economy in Sofia in the company of Finance Minister Petar Chobanov; Culture Minister Petar Stoyanovich will attend the ceremony at the National Music High School "Luybomir Pipkov, while the Minister of Youth and Sports Mariana Georgieva will be at the National Sports Academy "Vasil Levski" in Sofia.
Health Minister Tanya Andreeva will attend the ceremony at the Medical University in Sofia. Sofia Mayor Yordanka Fandakova will open the school year at 73rd school "Vladislav Gramatik" in the capital. Agriculture Minister Prof Dimitar Grekov will visit the Professional High School for Agriculture in the town of Sandanski, while the Minister of Environment and Waters Iskra Mihaylova will hear the first bell ring in the elementary school "Vasil Levski" in the village of Grashevo, Velingrad municipality.
- » 4506 Cases of Harassment and Bullying have been Registered in Schools in Bulgaria
- » Over 17,000 Children were Brought Back to Class in Bulgaria
- » Municipalities Receive over BGN 440 000 for Education from the State Budget
- » Key Topic of BG EU Presidency: Modernization and Innovations in Teaching Methods
- » The MES will Try Move All Students into One Shift by 2021
- » Students From the EU 'to get £13,000 Brexit Loans From the UK