Bulgarian Ethnic Turkish Party MP Gives Up Imminuty
Shterio Shterev, MP from the ethnic Turkish Movement for Rights and Freedoms, DPS, has handed in his written agreement to be stripped of his lawmaker's immunity.
The step was announced by Parliament Chair Mihail Mikov during Wednesday's parliament sitting, according to reports of the Focus news agency.
On July 2, Bulgaria's Chief Prosecutor Sotir Tsatsatov requested Parliament to lift the MP immunity of Shterev over an ongoing investigation against him for money laundering and financial crime.
A day later, on July 3, Shterio Sterev handed in a declaration stating his consent to be stripped of his immunity from prosecution in connection with Tsatsarov's request.
Shterev's declaration is to be referred to the Chief Prosecutor.
Responding to the announcement of Tsatsarov that he was being investigated for money laundering and financial crime, Shterev claimed last week that he was innocent.
He explained that he had been the subject of pre-trial proceedings for money laundering and document forgery in 2008 but specified that he had had not been summoned for a questioning since then.
Shterev emphasized that the parliamentary group of DPS was well aware of the pre-trial proceedings against him.
- » Reactions in the National Assembly on the Sale of CEZ's Assets in Bulgaria
- » The Minister of Energy Resigned
- » Sofia Municipality will Try to Reduce Advertising in the City Center
- » “Blue Room” for Hearing of Child Victims of Crime Opened in Vratsa
- » Bulgaria's commercial vehicle registrations rise 19% y/y in Jan
- » Bulgarian Ombudsman will Now be Elected by Open Ballot System