Bulgarian Govt to Decide Fate of Embattled Harlem Shake Teacher
Bulgaria's Education Minister will have to decide the fate of Hristo Danev, the teacher who was recently dismissed after performing the Harlem Shake dance with his students in the school yard.
Parents have already demanded that Danev be reinstated. They have pointed out that he has succeeded in motivating their children, TV7 says.
Bulgaria's interim Education Minister Nikolay Miloshev has promised to examine the case.
Danev, who had been teaching English for five years at the St. Cyril and St. Methodius school, organized and videotaped the Harlem Shake dance together with the students earlier in March.
All of the "performers", the teacher included, were disguised in weird ways as soccer fans, doctors, police officers, sheikhs. The video included performing indecent scenes and smoking.
As a result, some indignant parents and teachers petitioned against Danev. Interestingly, he resigned himself after orchestrating the Harlem Shake video. However, other parents, and the arge majority of students have voiced strong support for him.
Subsequently, he changed his mind, and tried to revoke his resignation but his contract had already been terminated.
He says his idea was to bring together young people to have fun and smile, after so much negativism in the country.
- » Newly Appointed Young Teachers have Increased more than 4 Times
- » 4506 Cases of Harassment and Bullying have been Registered in Schools in Bulgaria
- » Over 17,000 Children were Brought Back to Class in Bulgaria
- » Municipalities Receive over BGN 440 000 for Education from the State Budget
- » Key Topic of BG EU Presidency: Modernization and Innovations in Teaching Methods
- » The MES will Try Move All Students into One Shift by 2021
Priorities priorities. Really, there are more pressing things in BG to be concerned about than a silly school vid. That's what kids do.
"He says his idea was to bring together young people to have fun and smile, after so much negativism in the country."..............................I agree with that. No real harm done. Give him his job back.