9 Bulgarian Footballers Remain in Jail for Illegal Betting
Nine of the twelve arrested football players from two teams in the Black Sea city of Burgas remain behind bars.
The information was reported Friday by the spokesperson of the Burgas Prosecutor's Office
Two of the nine are believed to be the ringleaders, and they have already been charged. The others will be probed in separate pre-trail proceedings.
Both ringleaders are 26-years-old; one is a former football player, the other one is a current competitor.
The bets ranged between BGN 300 and BGN 500 and were sent via short text messages (sms). They were for games from championships abroad, and the detainees have not played for any of these teams.
The ringleaders face up to six years behind bars, while the accessories – up to one year and fines.
According to the Prosecutor's Office's latest update, 8 of the players were from Burgas's A-league Chernomorets football club, with the remaining 4 were from the second-tier Neftohimik.
- » Dozens have Died in a Series of Attacks in Afghanistan
- » Bulgarian Used Fake Spotify Playlists to Make Money
- » 400 Kilos of Cocaine was Found at the Russian Embassy in Argentina
- » A Breakthrough in uTorrent Puts at Risk the Safety of Millions of Users
- » Cybercrime Hurting Businesses to Tune of $600 billion
- » A man was Found Murdered This Night in the Lyulin District