Surrogate Bishops - 'Inferior Products' of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
The Bulgarian Orthodox Bishop of Plovdiv Nikolay has shocked the Bulgarian society again.
I won't even remind the scandals over the years about the Plovdiv Bishop's "Rolex"-es and luxury cars. I'll just stress such statements are mind-boggling for a nation in a demographic disaster that must be fighting for every life.
Apparently, the radical Nikolay is reaching new heights in Christian fundamentalism, increasingly resembling Florida pastor Terry Jones who burned the Quran in 2010.
Sadly, a gang of "surrogate bishops", mostly graduates of the DS, the secret service of the communist regime, have occupied the Bulgarian Orthodox Church – a former symbol of Bulgaria's glory and salvation.
Can you imagine Bishop Nikolay or his "Lincoln"-driving colleague from Varna Kiril being banished like Exarch Antim I who spoke out about the 1876 April Uprising massacres in the Ottoman Empire, or saving the Bulgarian Jews from Hitler like a true Bishop of Plovdiv, Cyril, in 1943?
I can't. So all we Orthodox Bulgarians are left with is seeking the few "non-surrogate" clergymen in Bulgaria.
- » Politico: Europe’s Digital Single Market Hits the Bulgarian Rocks
- » Rositsa Kratunkova: Bulgaria (not) only for Bulgarians
- » Süddeutsche Zeitung: Bulgaria Should not Enter the Eurozone
- » The Economist: The Difficulties of Exchanging Territory in the Balkans
- » Tomislav Donchev: In the Istanbul Convention, Society Saw a Great Deal of its Fears
- » For How Long will Housing Prices in Bulgaria Continue to Increase?