Bulgaria's Academy of Sciences Newly Elected Head Dies at 67
Acad. Stefan Dodunekov, the recently elected director of Bulgaria's Academy of Sciences (BAS), has passed away after a short illness. He was 67.
Dondunekov, who served previously as director of its Institute of Mathematics and Informatics, was elected BAS director at the beginning of June.
Three candidates presented their programs, but he turned out to be preferred over Corr. Member Prof. DBs Andon Kosev and Academician Prof. D.Phil Alexander Petrov, head of the Institute of Solid State Physics.
Dodunekov replaced his predecessor Nikola Sabotinov on June 19.
The candidates for the post signed declarations in accordance stating that they were not employees of the former Communist State Security and the intelligence services of the Bulgarian army.
The Bulgarian Academy of Sciences has struggled to cope with severe underfunding over the past years and Dondunekov faced an uphill struggle to find solutions to its acute problems.
- » Weightlifting Legend Naim Süleymanoğlu Dies at Age 50
- » Andronia Popova - Roni from the Indie Band Nasekomix has Passed Away Aged 44
- » Music Legend Tom Petty Dies
- » Playboy Creator Hugh Hefner was Buried Next to Marilyn Monroe
- » Playboy Magazine Founder Hugh Hefner Dies Aged 91
- » At the Age of 90, Poet John Ashbery Died