US Ambassador to Bulgaria: No One Is Safe in Face of Terror
If terrorists can hit the US, they can strike anywhere, the American Ambassador in Sofia, James Warlick, says.
Speaking Friday, in an interview for the Bulgarian National Television, BNT, the diplomat explained that no country is safe from terrorism, which is a threat for everyone across the globe.
"Terrorists can strike anywhere. What happened in the US on September 11 can happen in any country. This is what happened in your country," he stressed.
According to him, terrorist plots are unpredictable. Regarding the terrorist attack at the airport of the Black Sea city of Burgas, Warlick stated that it aimed at Israeli citizens, who were vulnerable in Bulgaria.
"There is no country that can be 100% prepared for such situation," the Ambassador commented, adding the reaction of Bulgarian authorities has been adequate.
He voiced the opinion that all leads must be followed, but warned that the investigation and the public should refrain from hasty conclusions and speculations about those behind the attack.
Warlick promised the US assistance in tracing, finding and sending to Court the masterminds of the terror act.
A bus carrying Israeli tourists exploded on the airport's parking lot Wednesday afternoon, killing seven. Five are Israeli citizens.
The other two casualties are a Bulgarian, who was the driver of the bus, which was supposed to carry the group of Israeli tourists to the Sunny Beach resort and the suicide bomber, who brought the bomb on the bus.
The number of wounded is 32.
Security has been upped in hotels where Israeli tourists are accommodated.
The explosion in Bulgaria was the deadliest attack on Israelis abroad since 2004.
The US CIA and the Israeli Mossad are investigating the terror plot.
- » Angela Merkel Comes to Bulgaria on Saturday
- » PM Borisov to President of Kosovo: I Count on Your Help that the Kosovo Mitrovica Case will not Deviate Us From the Big Goal
- » Stoltenberg on an Official Visit to Macedonia
- » Erdogan Meets the Pope on February 5th
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister: Poland is an Important Country For the EU and a Longtime Ally and Friend of Bulgaria
- » Hoyt Yee: Stability and Development of the Balkans Are Extremely Important