Bulgaria's Sofia Mulls Locations for Brand-New University Campus
University presidents in Bulgaria's capital Sofia are considering a new location for building a new college campus to replace the already notorious "Studentski Grad" ("Students' Town") quarter.
Even though Bulgaria does not have university campuses in their classical form, Studentski Grad located in the southern part of Sofia hosts the dormitories of all universities in the Bulgarian capital.
Because of overdevelopment, illegal construction, the great number of discos and other entertainment venues, the quarter which houses some 30 000 students has grown more and more hostile to a proper academic environment and has become known for a scene of frequent crimes and low public morals.
The issue of creasing a new "Students' Town" in Sofia has become especially acute after in February 2012 a student was stabbed to death in a drunk brawl among roommates in a dorm room.
According to the head of the Bulgarian University Presidents' Council Prof. Vanyo Mitev, cited Wednesday by BTA, a possible new location for a new university campus is near the village of Lozen to the southeast of Sofia.
Mitev, who is the President of the Sofia Medical University, said the new college campus for the universities in Sofia could be funded through the EU operational programs or a public-private partnership.
He is to propose the location near Lozen at a meeting of the University Presidents' Council on Thursday, which has been called specially to discuss measures for improving the order and safety in the Studentski Grad quarter.
Mitev did say, however, that the Sofia Municipality could also find another suitable location which will be sufficient enough to host the 51 dorms currently located in the notorious quarter.
- » Campaign for Student Candidates has Began at Sofia University "Kliment Ohridski"
- » Over 6500 Bulgarian Students Will Receive Euro Scholarships For the Winter Semester
- » 1,200 Students will Receive Financial Support for Outstanding Performance
- » 892 Schools Across the Country are Closed Due to the Flu Epidemic
- » The Bourgas Prosecutor's Office Ordered a Check on Violence Against Children in a Kindergarten
- » In 887 Schools in the Country there are no Classes Because of the Flu