Great Tit Picked as Bird Symbol of Sofia
Sofianites have picked the Great Tit (Parus major) as a symbol of the capital.
The poll was conducted in the period January 28 – March 15 and attracted a total of 8600 votes for 12 options.
The Great Tit emerged as the winner with 24% of the votes, followed by the Eurasian Collared Dove (Streptopelia decaocto) with 20% of the votes and the House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) supported by 16% of the voters.
The poll was launched as part of the "See for the first time: The flying wealth of Bulgaria" project of the Bulgarian Society for Protection of Birds financed and supported by the America for Bulgaria foundation.
The winning species will be awarded with a special installation in Sofia's Southern Park.
The installation will be the starting point for bird-watching routes that are yet to be marked with directional signs and notice boards.
The project, which aims to promote Bulgaria as a destination for eco-tourism and an important ornithological site, is to be completed by early June.
- » An Earthquake Shook the Capital of Taiwan
- » NIMH: Sunny, Maximum Temperatures From 0-2°C in Northwestern Regions
- » At Minus 62 Degrees in the Coldest Village, the Thermometer is Damaged
- » NIMH: Rains to Stop Before Noon, Maximum Temperatures of Up to 4°C
- » NIMH: Cloudy Weather Today with Snowfall in Many Areas
- » Yellow Code for Snowfall was Declared in 15 Districts in Bulgaria