Snow Freezes Freight Traffic on Bulgaria's Roads
Heavy freight trucks have been banned from travelling in and through Bulgaria, as heavy snowfall that started overnight is continuing throughout the country Thursday.
The situation is critical in the Ruse and Razgrad regions of northeastern Bulgaria, where the vast majority of roads have been closed, due to snow drifts of 0.7-1.5 m.
Code Red for extremely dangerous weather is under consideration for both Ruse and Razgrad regions.
The Danube Bridge to Romania at Ruse is also closed due to heavy snowfall in southern Romania.
The municipalities of Godech and Svoge in western Bulgaria have declared emergency situations, with communications with smaller settlements in the areas being cut off.
At least 30,000 users of electric power utility CEZ in western Bulgaria have been left with no electricity, down from 53,000 Thursdsay morning.
Heavy snowfall with power blackouts and minor road problems are also reported in the Rhodope Mountains area of southern Bulgaria.
- » The Municipality of Sofia will Plant a Forest near Suhodol
- » Mostly Sunny Weather with Temperatures of up to 22-27°C
- » NIMH: Mostly Sunny Today with Temperatures of Up to 22-27°C
- » Those who Died in the California Fires are Now 42
- » Xi Jinping: China will Fight to Stop Climate Change
- » NIMH: Fog in Some Areas in the Morning, Maximum Temperatures 22-27°C