State of Art Sports Arena Opens in Sofia
Bulgaria's Prime Minister, Boyko Borisov, officially opened Saturday the brand-new Sofia sports facility "Armeets Arena.
The Mayor of Sofia, Yordanka Fandakova, and the Minister of Sports and Youth, Svilen Neykov, also attended the ceremony. They all watched the first ever sports competition to be held in the hall – a friendly game between the men national volleyball teams of Bulgaria and Serbia.
On Friday, the organizers of the opening ceremony took journalists on a 52-meter-high platform, which also functions as a restaurant, to show them the facility from above.
The Arena has 12 529 seats and the capacity to hold 19 000 people. It was built in 18 months. It can be used, under the contract, for 8 types of sports, but offers possibilities for the practice of 30. It has a special security system that takes pictures of the spectators and recognizes those banned from sports events over hooligan acts.
24 police teams were engaged Saturday to monitor traffic and movement around the facility.
Spectators were let in between 3 and 5 pm. The invitations were free, but the event has already been marred by numerous reports of their sale on the black market for as much as BGN 40 and of forged invitations. For this reason authorities checked people carefully upon entrance, including by the police.
- » 24 % of the Apartments in Sofia are Uninhabited
- » The Properties by the Sea: The Russians Leave, the Westerners Come
- » VMware has Negotiated the Largest Office Deal in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria is Seventh in the EU in Increase of House Prices in 2017
- » A Court in China Sells an Unfinished Skyscraper at an Auction
- » Metalworking Plant in Vidin has been Put Up For Sale for 34 Bitcoin