State of Art Sports Arena Opens in Sofia
Bulgaria's Prime Minister, Boyko Borisov, officially opened Saturday the brand-new Sofia sports facility "Armeets Arena.
The Mayor of Sofia, Yordanka Fandakova, and the Minister of Sports and Youth, Svilen Neykov, also attended the ceremony. They all watched the first ever sports competition to be held in the hall – a friendly game between the men national volleyball teams of Bulgaria and Serbia.
On Friday, the organizers of the opening ceremony took journalists on a 52-meter-high platform, which also functions as a restaurant, to show them the facility from above.
The Arena has 12 529 seats and the capacity to hold 19 000 people. It was built in 18 months. It can be used, under the contract, for 8 types of sports, but offers possibilities for the practice of 30. It has a special security system that takes pictures of the spectators and recognizes those banned from sports events over hooligan acts.
24 police teams were engaged Saturday to monitor traffic and movement around the facility.
Spectators were let in between 3 and 5 pm. The invitations were free, but the event has already been marred by numerous reports of their sale on the black market for as much as BGN 40 and of forged invitations. For this reason authorities checked people carefully upon entrance, including by the police.
- » Metalworking Plant in Vidin has been Put Up For Sale for 34 Bitcoin
- » Bulgaria Remains Among the 15 most Desirable Destinations for Buying a Second Home
- » Eurostat: 85% of Bulgarians Live in their Own Home
- » 1/3 of Homes and Apartments in Bulgaria are Uninhabited
- » First Time in Bulgaria: Residential Complex Received a Certificate for a Sustainable Building
- » Construction and the Property Market with a Serious Jump in 2017