Bulgarian Labor Union Leader Dies at 62
Dr. Zhelyazko Hristov, President of Bulgaria's labor union Confederation of Bulgarian Independent Syndicates, KNSB, has passed away.
The news was announced Wednesday by the Bulgarian National Radio, BNR, in the heels of earlier reports KNSB is staging mass protests across Bulgaria over the new Social Insurance Bill.
Hristov was born on May 13, 1948 in the village of Rogosh, near Bulgaria's second largest city of Plovdiv. He graduated from medical school with the specialty of stomach and chest surgery and worked in the southern city of Haskovo and later at the Medical University in Plovdiv.
In 1990, Hristov became the KNSB Deputy Chair and dedicated his life to the Bulgarian labor unions. He was first elected KNSB President in 1997, and reelected in 2001 and 2007.
Hristov is the recipient of Bulgaria's highest order "Stara Planina."
- » The Actress Dafina Katsarska is One of the Two Women Found Dead in Plovdiv
- » One More Member of Motorhead Died
- » Singer Johnny Hallyday Dies Aged 74
- » Pernik Declares Day of Mourning For the Victims From the Car Crash Near Village of Mikre
- » Weightlifting Legend Naim Süleymanoğlu Dies at Age 50
- » Andronia Popova - Roni from the Indie Band Nasekomix has Passed Away Aged 44