Bulgaria Ruling GERB Party Wins By-election Runoffs - Report
The candidates of Bulgaria’s ruling GERB party have won the last two mayor by-election runoffs Sunday.
According to unconfirmed exit polls, Krasimir Gechev from PM Borisov’s party GERB has triumphed over Blagoy Dunkin, a candidate of a local initiative committee. In the first round, Gechev won 22% vs. 48% for Dunkin.
The voter turnout was over 70% - 10% more than a week ago. Both sides reported a number of violations to the Municipal Electoral Commission; however, the Commission ruled there had been no major issues.
Several of Bulgaria’s TV channels reported heated tensions in Razlog but said the local people were too scared to speak in front of their cameras.
Lyupcho Petrov from the GERB party won the mayor seat in the village of Beglezh, Pleven District, where he beat the Socialist Party candidate, Georgi Saykov.
- » US Ambassador to Work on Trump Visit to Bulgaria
- » The Bulgaria 2009 Review: Elections
- » Bulgaria’s Razlog Holds Mayor By-Elections Runoff
- » Bulgaria GERB Party with Most Frugal Mayor Election Campaign
- » Bulgaria Conservative RZS Party Takes Sofia Elections to Court
- » 59 000 Manipulated Votes in Sofia Mayor Elections - Report