Freak Repeat Fuels Lottery Enthusiasm in Bulgaria
Bulgaria's national lottery is unexpectedly capitalizing on what has been called a freak coincidence, the drawing of the same six numbers in two consecutive rounds.
The number of people who try their luck in the lottery has increased, even through many have their misgivings about the transparency of the investigators' probe into the lottery repeat, a tour around the lottery booths in the capital Sofia showed.
The Bulgarian authorities ordered an investigation after the same six numbers were drawn in two consecutive rounds of the national lottery. The probe found no wrongdoing.
The numbers - 4, 15, 23, 24, 35 and 42 - were chosen by a machine live on television on 6 and 10 September.
Lottery officials called the repeat draws a freak coincidence - the odds are 1 in 4 million, according to mathematicians - and insisted it was impossible to tamper with the lottery machine.
Nobody won the top prize in the first draw.
But a record 18 people guessed all six numbers in the 10 September draw.
Each will win BGN 10,164.
- » Around 1,500 Migrants have been Rescued in the Last Three Days in the Mediterranean
- » Number of Students in Bulgaria Decreased by 17% Due to the Low Birth rates and Migration
- » There was a Slight Earthquake in the Region of Shumen
- » Climate Change Could Deny You Your Favorite Cup of Coffee
- » New Earthquake in Iran, Dozens were Injured
- » This is How Many Spiders You Eat in Your Sleep Every Year