Bulgaria Belene Nuclear Plant Construction to Cost EUR 10 B
Bulgaria Economy, Energy and Tourism Minister, Traicho Traikov, has announced that the construction of Belene NPP will cost around EUR 10 B.
Traikov gave the example of Kozolduy nuclear power plant, stating that the same installations would be made at the Belene nuclear power plant. He said that Kozloduy NPP made a profit of around EUR 100 M last year and most likely will make the same this year. Traikov explained that if say EUR 100 B had been given for the construction of Kozloduy that would mean a 0,5% yearly return on an investor's money.
Regarding the construction of Belene NPP Traikov said "the question is whether we as a society want to invest EUR 5 B, as our share in this project, assuming that risk."
Traikov expressed satisfaction that the Russian Energy Minister Sergey Shmatko had accepted his invitation for a meeting in Sofia on 17 September. He said that he needs to see what the Russian decisions and commitments are to the Bulgarian energy projects. Traikov added that all agreements that are made and are not trade secrets must be made public.
The Bulgarian and Russian delegations will discuss the future of the South Stream gas transit pipeline, the Burgas-Alexandroupolis oil pipeline, and the Belene Nuclear Power Plant.
Traikov concluded; "I am not ruling out the possibility that all three Bulgaria-Russia energy projects can be carried out. We are not a Ministry of limitations but rather of growth." He added that his job however was to look after the interests of the country and its children.
- » Public Discussions on Gas Extraction in the Dobrudzha Region
- » Random Inspections Indicate Good Preparation of Network Electric Operators for the Winter
- » Just One Marine Wind Turbine Farm can Power the Whole World
- » Large Scale Power Outages in Sofia from Today
- » Europe will Receive Azerbaijani Gas in 2020
- » Gazprom does not Exclude the Possibility of Building New Gas Pipelines for Europe